Hose protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mopar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have noticed most divers don't use hose protectors. I asked someone once why divers don't like them and I was told it was because if the hose had a leak you can't see the bubbles. I did not believe this reason because the bubbles will always find away around the protector. So my question is why not have them on your hoses? Do the protectors do anything for a strain relief for the hoses or are they just cosmetic.
I figure the majority of the diving community can't be wrong. Or do they fall into the same category as tank bangers?

It's much more obvious that the hose is weeping bubbles without the hose protector. Plus, hoses usually advertise an impending failure by bubbling the rubber covering up, something you wouldn't see with a hose protector on.

However, hose protectors do seem to take the sting out of the impact from a tank falling over, where the reg/hose hits something hard. You'd have to balance the probability of falling & hose impact - vs. - slow failure.

<shrugs> None of my regs have hose protectors.

All the best, James

I doubt they can hide bubbles visible during a bubble check, though you may have trouble telling if it's coming from the hose, the fitting or the first stage. For me, I don't have extreme bends in my hoses that need protection, and the protectors require extra attention during gear rinsing (it's often recommended to pull the strain reliefs back so you can flush the hose swage fittings to prevent them from retaining salt water and corroding under the protectors).

(it's often recommended to pull the strain reliefs back so you can flush the hose swage fittings to prevent them from retaining salt water and corroding under the protectors).
Just in regular servicing and such I felt like I was doing more damage to my hose by forcefully removing the hose protector. Took them off long ago and have never missed them.

If they're actual strain relievers as opposed to decorative thingys I don't think that is a bad thing, only they're going to trap salt water so good idea to slide them down to rinse better. Though what I find is that some slide down too easily and can be a nuisance just floating on the hose someplace, and others don't slide down easily enough when you want to rinse so are also a nuisance. Mostly I leave them if they're there unless they're sliders (then they're history.) But I don't go out of my way to get more and put them on where there aren't any.

1. They trap salt and dirt
2. They hide damaged hoses.
3. They don't really serve a purpose if you have your hose routing figured out.

I'll tell you what the owner of a large reg repair shop told me. He loves them, they make him a lot of money......I took mine off and so does he. :)

I was a fan of the "strain relief".

Then when I recognized they could create and conceal corrosion unless I slid them down, rinsed, inspected etc. Today I go "commando".

I was a fan of the "strain relief".

Then when I recognized they could create and conceal corrosion unless I slid them down, rinsed, inspected etc. Today I go "commando".

:rofl3: Thanks everyone I think I will go "commando" as well.

I always use Hose Protectors. The only hose I have leaking now is the hose without the protector!! This hose was bought in Libya where they don't sell protectors. Most high end equipment manufacturers such as Atomic, SP, etc. ship their regulators with protectors on. I am sure that they do it for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom