Hose protectors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My current setup does not have hose protectors at the first stage, as I was under the impression that this was not DIR. However a few minutes ago I was looking at the WKPP website and noticed that on a picture of a singles rig, it had hose protectors.

(By hose protectors, I mean the things that snug up against the first stage and are supposed to relieve strain off the metal end fittings.)

So, are these DIR or not?

A lot of the pictures on different DIR sites are outdated.

The feeling on hose protectors is they're not needed, they hide corrosion and make inspection of your couplings much more difficult. So if you don't need them - don't use them.

Okay, cool. I was hoping they weren't DIR, since I threw mine away...... :eyebrow:

A year or so ago I was rebuilding a couple regs for someone when I slid the hose protector back and saw the hose underneath.

I wish I took a picture of it; I'll never worry about a little knick again after seeing how hacked up that hose was and still held integrity.

The important thing is that if you -do- have hose protectors, you frequently check under them to see what condition they are in.

I was rebuilding a first stage for someone and same thing. I pulled back the useless hose guards and what a mess I still have one of the hoses I could post to show why not to use them.

Scott Mc

I would actually love to see that, even though I don't use them, just to see what it looks like. If you don't mind pop a picture of it up on here.

From my limited understanding of DIR, the use of hose protectors is discouraged (for reasons mentioned above) but it is up to the individual diver to decide—I still use the soft Oceanic type. They do lessen the strain and can prolong hose life. I make sure to leave them pulled out when washing and storing my regs and check them frequently pre and post dives.

I’ve used hose protectors (strain reliefs) for years on all my hoses and I think they prolong the life of the hoses at the ends. I pull them back when I clean the regulators at the end of a dive and I leave them back until I’m ready to dive again or pack the regulators for travel. I’ve seen too many hoses get bent too tight at the ends when getting packed in a tight bag or when stuff gets set on them in a dive bag on a boat.

its case to case basis but its defintely ok to use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom