Hose protectors and corrosion...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:depressed::depressed:Help!!

I disassembled my single reg for the first time in order to build my doubles. As I removed the hose protectors I noticed a lot of hidden corrosion on the metal; white and green gunk, yuck!!

I never new these protectors hide the true nature of whats underneath. I clean my reg thoroughly in fresh water everytime, but thats not enough. You need to pull them back and let them air dry and they place them back. I didn't know that.

I've never done that and I'm lucky the gunk isn't worse. Anyway, I need help in using the best possible clean up solution that will effectively give them more life. The rubber hose is immaculate and there are not visible kinks.

It is just the metal that has the corrosion, anyway what is the secret liquid to purchase? I did a search and found nothing.

I will not be using any hose protectors in the future. The only hose that has no protector is in better shape than the ones that were protected, go figure. :shakehead:

Thanks,

MG

Last edited:
Was this not covered as part of the gear discussion in your Essentials class? It's a pretty well-known possible issue. If you're going to keep those hose protectors, you need to occasionally check under them. It's like cylinder boots.

I pulled all the hose protectors off of my regs when I bought them. I wouldn't bother using them.

Yeah, they dont protect from corrosion- they are designed to provide strain relief to prevent kinks. Things get real nasty, real quick when salt water gets trapped.

You doubling up already Mike? Bug really got you on Saturday then!

OK. It sounds like people aren't willing to give you any suggestions regarding how to deal with the existing corrosion. I'll give it a shot.

First, disconnect the hose in question from both the first and second stages. Then remove the LP port o-ring and carefully soak just the end nut for a few minutes in a 50:50 water:household vinegar solution. You'll see bubbling occur at the site of corrosion. Don't let the end nut sit in the solution too long. I'd follow that up with some scrubbing using an old toothbrush and a good soak in neutralizing baking soda solution and/or just plain old water.

I would be loathe to soak the hose crimp in the vinegar solution for fear of the acidic pH destroying the hose beneath the crimp. Perhaps just a longer soak in very hot water would be best for the hose crimp, followed by toothbrush scrubbing, and a rinse.

You can choose to remove the offending hose protectors or resolve in the future to pull them back during post-dive rinsing.

I'd direct some clean dry tank air (using an air nozzle) into the other end of the hose (normally connect to a second stage) to ensure that the inside of the hose is completely dry. Dry off the soaked end, install new o-rings (2-011 for 3/8" LP port and 2-010 for 2nd stage connection), reconnect first/second stages, and you should be good to go.

Let us know how it goes...

I quit using hose protectors a long time ago. I found that they were not needed for strain and every time I went to pull them back I was putting more force on the hose then I was comfortable with. Corrosion is a side issue.

Was this not covered as part of the gear discussion in your Essentials class? It's a pretty well-known possible issue. If you're going to keep those hose protectors, you need to occasionally check under them. It's like cylinder boots.

Because I use the Apeks regulator and the hose protectors that come with it are very streamline and really look part of hose, I suspect my Essentials class never saw that I was using hose protectors. :shocked2:

But you know what Rainer, he did notice I was out of Trim and using my fins on the sand to stabalize.

But, having said that, hose protectors as I mentioned are being tossed away. :wink:

But, having said that, hose protectors as I mentioned are being tossed away. :wink:

Good call.

Peter_C:
I quit using hose protectors a long time ago. I found that they were not needed for strain and every time I went to pull them back I was putting more force on the hose then I was comfortable with. Corrosion is a side issue.

Yep. +1 (Or actually, +2 or +3, since I see a number of people saying the same thing here.)

Tank boots work the same way - they're designed to protect... Er, actually, they're designed to be another thing that someone can sell to you (with the "Surface Logic" being that they protect) - what they actually do is make the problem worse.

You'll find the same issue with tank boots (don't use them) and any kind of plastic cover on the first stages of regulators.

Our solution for corrosion is a Scotch-Brite pad and water. Don't remove the hose from the reg so that you can avoid the possibility of getting anything in the hose itself, which would be really bad for the internal componets of your regulator (or could clog up the regulator's screen). Don't go too nuts on trying to get the corrosion off - it'll tend to wear off on it's own to some degree if you stop using the hose protectors... And/or whatever shiny, uncorroded parts you have will tend to dull out and sorta start to look the same with repeated diving. :)

Ultimately, new hoses average about $30 each - so if it really upsets you that they're not new and shiny, drop the dime and get some that are new and shiny. :)

Yup. I'm a no-hose protectors guy.

When I bought my rebreather last year, it had been dived in salt water and had been sitting in storage for 2 years (hence the good price :D). Every hose had a protector, and underneath every one of them was major corrosion. I replaced the bad hoses, but most of them were good except for the corrosion. So I gave each hose end a vinegar bath in the ultrasonic cleaner, a rinse, and then another bath in simple green. They came out like new.

Of course, I trashed the protectors and haven't had a spot of green since.

Mike when you take your GUE class, they are going to cut the hose protectors off. They are a dirt and grit Magnet. Totally useless, not needed at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom