Hose material questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaosHokie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm somewhat confused by the materials for the various hoses that are out there currently. :confused:

I'm reconfiguring my current regulator setup to have the long-hose, necklace backup configuration, so while shopping around for new hoses, I've come across:
* Rubber
* Miflex2
* DuoKev
* Generic double-braided

My questions are basically:
Is it worth it to make the long-hose Miflex2 or generic double-braided from a weight (think airline travel) perspective?
If yes, is it worth it to pay for the branded Miflex2 hoses or get a generic (from a reputable source, of course)?
If yes, what about the short hose?
Are there any sort of long-term maintenance issues with the flexible hoses?

Is it worth it to convert my drysuit hose, inflator hose, and SPG hose to the Miflex2 type hoses? At this point I don't need new hoses for any of those.

There is a reported issue with the MiFlex HP hoses. No issue I know of and nothing but praise for the low pressure hose from Miflex. The guy over at Dive Gear Express | Equipment for Experienced Divers sells a no name brand braided hose.

Double Braided Flexible Hoses for SCUBA - Dive Gear Express

I have 2 of his high pressure hoses and have had no issue with them. Only had them this year and used a dozen or so times. His low pressure hoses are great too. Hes on the forum and cant remember his name but he was nice to do business with when I bought form him.

If you do get braided hoses of any brand dont throw away your old hoses. IMHO They are GREAT for a save a dive kit. Connect both ends together(closed loop) or seal up each end(straight) to keep clean and dry.

As to weight savings, forget about it. There are other better ways to deal with airline weight limitations (leave something at home).

The bigger issue is how you'll feel about a long flexible hose once the air is turned on — some people don't care for it — they try the flexible hose and go back to the old fashioned hoses. Search the forums about this issue - plenty has been written.

If you still want some hoses - other than 'rubber'…

I've got Phantom LP, MiFlex LP, ProBlue braided LP, and non-braided Kevlar HP (mine looks the same as Xscuba DuoKev - hose appearance and markings are identical, I think the thickness specs are a little different? Mine came from EuroDivingZone). The braided hoses are not all the same.

From a 'brand' standpoint, I'd recommend Phantom for braided hoses and DuoKev for non braided (DuoKev are only HP hoses — no LP hoses).

Back
Top Bottom