Hose lengths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aidensnd

Reaction score
I am just getting back into diving after a mulit year break and have purchased my first set of gear. I am in the process of setting it all up and need some input on hose lengths.
I have decided to go to with a 7 foot hose for my primary regulator, I am in no way DIR nor do I intend to be, I just think that the long primary makes a lot of sense. I am also planning on using a bungee neckalce for my octopus.
Having said that I have a couple of questions. I am using a jacket BC and was wondering how other people manage the long hose with a jacket. What will I secure the hose to on my right side as their will be no canister light to tuck it under? What length hoses are recommended for my other equipment? My octopus came with a longer hose than my primary and I was thinking about switching them so that my octopus has the shorter hose to reduce the possibility of snags. Also, what length hose do most of you use for you gauges?

Thanks
Dan

You could also use a 5' hose that way there would be no need for it to go around a cannister light or knife puch.The 5' hose would come from the tank and go under your right arm pit around the back of your neck and into your mouth with no need to route it under a cannister light.

Place your back up reg on a 22" - 24" hose and bungee it so it hangs below your chin.I dive a single rig and use a 22" hose.

My SPG hangs from a 24" hose which would do you no good if your using a console.I use a suunto vytec instead of a console.

And most of all welcome back to diving after your litttle break

If I am diving without a canister, I just tuck it into the belt of the harness, in your case the weight belt.
In actual fact it makes it really easy to "adjust" the amount of slack, you just vary how much is tucked in to give you optimal length between belt and neck
I have never really noticed any problems with deployment in any S drills.
Its certainly a better option than a 5' hose.

Dave

PS If your still unsure, PM me and Ill take a few pics of the setup.

Dan,

Welcome back to diving!

The back up hose:
The primary regulator usually comes with a shoreter hose than the one on the octopus. To start you can switch these around.

I use a 22" hose for my back up when diving singles or doubles.

The long hose storage:
Once you have the back up reg necklased around your head.(Very important to put it on first.) Extend the long hose in front of you to make sure it is clear (second stage in left hand and run your right hand on the hose all the way back to the first stage)

Make sure it goes under your right arm to the front of your left shoulder behind your neck into mouth coming from the right side or your head. Then take up the excess in front of you and stuff it between the cumberbund and BC quick release. A quick tuck and you are on your way. Make sure the reg is in your mouth before tucking otherwise its hard to know how much hose you need.

I started with a Standard BC before moving on to a back plate.
Then I moved to a canister light mounted on a weight belt.(Expensive ditchable weight) I would route it under the light instead of tucking it on the belt. Finally I broke down and picked up a backplate and wing...very happy after that.

The SPG hose:
The most important part is to have a place to clip it off on your left side to avoid it from dangling in front of you. My Cavern instructor took a sodering iron to my first BC and added a D-Ring.(OUCH!) The hose was still the standard but it kept it from hanging down.

When that hose finally gave up. I switched to a 26" and removed the console leaving only the SPG. When I moved to doubles I started using a 24" hose. The new regs I picked up work better with a 22" hose.

I have a pretty nice hose collection that I try to give away as much as possible, right, Jeff?

Inflator hose:
Don't forget this one. When you are diving it tends to be the lowest thing that hangs down. On my BC we shortened the inflator hose and the corrugated hose.

Have fun!

And yes. It would have been cheaper to start with a harness/wing setup instead of changing all of the stuff around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom