Hose Lengths (Newer Diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just get the 5ft hose. You won't have any management problems, and the air share will be easier.

Rainer:
Given that at the moment at BP/W is just not feasible (simply don't have the money, nor will I anytime soon), which would be you all recommend and WHY (again, with my Ranger):

(1) 40" hose
(2) 5' hose
(3) 7' hose

I'm looking for something that would be safer than my current (traditional) set up, but which would not pose a difficulty in terms of deployment/comfort in the water (i.e. a 7' hose just doesn't make sense if I can't get it stowed away). Does anyone make 6' hoses? Also, I'm 6' tall, but not too big (165 lbs). Again, would you make a different suggestion for my 5'3" girlfriend? Thanks again!
I'd say get the 7'. I can't really guarranty that there will be no issues with the ranger because I have not dove one. But 7' rocks.

As for BPW costs: Find out what you can get for the ranger (~$250 min ebay price). You can get into a used bpw for that or a little more. I think I paid around ~150 for my first wing (DR RecWing) and plates usually go for around $80. Webbing and all the SS hardware is about another $30 or so. EDIT: Just missed this one--zeagle plate

But, if you are comfortable in the ranger then by all means stay with it. But the money issue--if you swap--can be very minimal.

Just a thought. I don't want to turn this into a "get a BPW" thread... but you should get a bpw :)

Chris

What kind of diving do you plan on doing? From your fist post it looked like shallow OW type stuff. No deco +/- 60' without any overhead concerns. With your traditional BC, like I have, why not go with a 32/36 hose and a 24" backup? I am also saving money for a bp/w. But as mentioned in the DIR fundamentals, it says don't take a piece hear or there and think your are DIR. It says DIR is a complete system. It says without understanding and training you might be worst off doing it wrong.

That being said. I didn’t listen either. My experience with the 7' on my oceanic probe b/c added many spot for the hose to get stuck on and made the primary not easily deployable. The 5' was too small around the b/c (I’m 6’-3” 230lb.). My configuration is as mentioned above until I get my bp/w. 32 or 36 inch hose I cant remember. I’m using my octo hose and a 24” backup. I’m using a 24” SPG hose b/c the 22” was too tight around the probe b/c.

I'm much more novice then others here on the DIR, but in the DIR fundamentals book for recreational diving it says lights are not required. And when without a light to wrap the 7’ hose around your waist mounted knife.

The book also says in shallow recreational diving a 32" primary hose is acceptable.

serrada:
My experience with the 7' on my oceanic probe b/c added many spot for the hose to get stuck on and made the primary not easily deployable.
When I first began my transition to DIR for OW diving back in the mid-1990s, I was using an Oceanic Ovation, which is a rec BC that is somewhat similar to the Probe. I successfully used a 7 foot hose with this BC (and without a canister light!) for a few years with no problems whatsoever. I assure you that a 7 foot hose is doable - the key is proper routing to avoid potential sources of entanglement, and lots of practice deploying and stowing the hose so that you are comfortable with its use.

I almost always encourage people to go ahead and start out with a 7 foot hose, "no matter what". If you use it for a while and decide you just can't make it work, then you can hang on to it until you are ready for overhead or tech training. If you decide that you don't ever want to go beyond OW diving, then at least you can sell it to someone else - there's likely to be much more resale demand for a 7 foot hose than a 5 foot hose.

How did you rout your hose? The problem I also had with my jacket bc and the 7' hose was every time I moved my head the hose was also getting caught around the waist, integrated weights and pockets of my bc and pulling the regulator in my mouth making it an uncomfortable dive situation. I guess the same could be true around a light canister or knife with a bp/w. Maybe I need to practice more. I hand not tried the 7' since (I'm keeping it in the corner until my DIR-F class and I get my bp/w).

serrada:
How did you rout your hose? The problem I also had with my jacket bc and the 7' hose was every time I moved my head the hose was also getting caught around the waist, integrated weights and pockets of my bc and pulling the regulator in my mouth making it an uncomfortable dive situation.
I used pretty much the same routing that you would use for a 5 foot hose (i.e. under the right arm), and just tucked the extra couple of feet under the cummerbund in front. Make sure you leave enough slack in the hose that you can turn your head freely to either side.

Like a lot of modern jacket style BCs, the Probe has a bunch of extra (unnecessary) D-rings and straps that interfere with hose routing and deployment. This is part of what makes the harness system so nice - fewer places for hoses to get caught. My Ovation wasn't nearly as bad about that as the Probe appears to be, so I had fewer issues with that. Also, I do not (and will never) use integrated weights - IMO those are just another example of dive industry "nonsense" that cause more problems than they solve, while trying to address a non-existent issue (or at least it would be if people were taught to weight and configure themselves properly).

serrada:
I guess the same could be true around a light canister or knife with a bp/w. Maybe I need to practice more. I hand not tried the 7' since (I'm keeping it in the corner until my DIR-F class and I get my bp/w).
I've never had any problems with the canister or knife. And more practice is always a Good Thing. :wink:

Since you are leaning toward BP/wings anyway, I would go ahead and sell the Probe and just be done with it. I know that sometimes people get emotionally attached to their gear and that it is hard to give up on a piece of equipment that they just purchased, and probably paid a lot of money for. I have a garage full of crap like that - literally 1000s of dollars worth of dive gear that I bought and don't use since going "full DIR" for all my diving.

If your ultimate goal is to migrate to a DIR-style system, then I wouldn't waste any more time making the switch. The sooner you get into a BP/wings, the happier you will be.

All IMHO, of course. :)

Good advise DIR-Atlanta.

I actually measured the hose I have and it is 5'. I was playing with this before I knew what DIR was. Just saw people doing this. Sorry, cannot comment on the 7'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom