Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm getting ready to purchase a HOG D1 reg (both first and second stages). If I get the set with one 1st stage and one 2nd stage, I need to decide the hose length. If I get the set with 2 second stages, it comes with a 7 ft. hose for the primary, and a 22 inch hose for the secondary stage. Since I'm a new diver, I'm not sure why the primary needs a 7 ft. hose. I thought the secondary would be the octopus, but a 22 inch hose seems rather short for that purpose. Please help educate the newbie. Thanks.

Ed

This will look totally different from what you are used to.

The 22 inch hose will lead to a regulator with a bungee cord loop attached to it. This loop goes around your neck, with the regulator hanging a few inches below your chin. When you donate the primary regulator in an out of air emergency, you pick up the alternate below your chin and put it in your mouth.

The 7 foot hose goes down your right side, across your chest, and around your neck. The excess length is either wrapped around something on your right hip (a light canister or a weight pocket, for example) or tucked into the waist belt. The reason for the 7 feet was originally so that if you share air in a constricted area, you can exit single file. It was originally used for cave diving. A lot of divers, including me, prefer it for exchanges in open water as well because it allows the divers to swim comfortably side by side without struggling with that near bear hug you practiced in your open water classes.

I am a recreational diver but I use the long hose, too. I find it much more comfortable than the shorter ones, no restriction when turning the head to the left any more :cool2:
The only caveat is you have to think of the bungee around your neck when taking off the BC and make sure your primary regulator is not dropped in the sand or trod on hanging from the long hose.
I am sure you will love the setup.

John accurately explains how a long-hose ('Hogarthian') regulator configuration is used. I thought I'd add some photos for illustration:

This is a nice diagram - shame it's in Polish.. but you can clearly see the hose routing...
hogarthian.jpg

Another photo illustrating how the long hose is routed around the torso/neck for storage... and can be deployed for AAS donation to your buddy:
dir2.jpg

I use a altered version of the 7 foot hose and I find it a nice compromise I use a 4 foot hose run down my right side and under the arm and up to my mouth. I find in open water I have plenty of hose to allow comfort in sharing air but don't need to run the hose around my neck Since I don't need to worry about swimming single file a 48 inches myflex with 90 degree swivel is plenty long and comfortable

Excellent explainations and diagrams. Thanks to all.

Ed

Unless you go completely hogarthian and setup the hose routing under your light, you will find a 7' hose extremely cumbersome. I would suggest the typical rec configuration or go with a 5' hose. Have a 5' in my hog d1 and it's ok but still bothers me. I have switched to HOGs rec regs(Edge and am much happier).

Unless you go completely hogarthian and setup the hose routing under your light, you will find a 7' hose extremely cumbersome. I would suggest the typical rec configuration or go with a 5' hose. Have a 5' in my hog d1 and it's ok but still bothers me. I have switched to HOGs rec regs(Edge and am much happier).

With BP&W it's quite simple, even without a canister light. As the photo (above) shows, a waist pocket has the same effect. I route mine under my knife (mid-torso, on the belt). I've seen many divers just poke the excess hose under the waist belt to trap it.

Hogarthian regulator configuration may be slightly more problematic with a jacket-style BCD. There's normally somewhere to poke it, or route it around though. It'd depend on the style/construction of the individual jacket.

5' is another solution - but for anyone of a larger chest size, it may well not be long enough for a proper around the neck routing. I certainly cannot turn my head to the left with a 5' hose...

I use a altered version of the 7 foot hose and I find it a nice compromise I use a 4 foot hose run down my right side and under the arm and up to my mouth. I find in open water I have plenty of hose to allow comfort in sharing air but don't need to run the hose around my neck Since I don't need to worry about swimming single file a 48 inches myflex with 90 degree swivel is plenty long and comfortable

I am guessing that the way you are routing the hose causes a loop to hang down while you are diving (please correct me if I am wrong). I am not saying your setup is wrong, but do you see an advantage to not running the hose around your neck?

One of the reasons to route the hose around your neck in the Hogarthian setup is that it keeps the hose tight to your body to avoid entanglement.

When I sell a HOG set up the length of the primary is something I like to go over with those using a long hose for the first time. Normally it goes to someone who is interested in tech and at some point will be picking up a can light or using a pocket, knife, reel, etc as a way to trap the loop. And in the meantime has no problem with tucking it as I do in the waist strap until they go that way.

But for those that do not or for some who are smaller of stature or just don't want a 7 ft hose no problem. For just a small cost adjustment I have subbed a 5ft. No problem. For those who may be a bit on the taller or wider side with no interest in those same things I have recommended or they requested a 6ft. Again no problem. The main thing is that if going with what is commonly known as a "hogathian" set up or type of set up that the primary be long enough to comfortably do an air share while using a 22 inch (or some have requested a 24 inch) bungeed back up.

If not needed for single file swims out of caves or wrecks a 7 ft may be a bit much. For me it's not. The important thing is that you don't have to right up in each others face with a longer hose. Some say you should be. Me, I like a little distance between myself and the OOA diver in case they decide to go full goose bozo. I don't want them dragging me somewhere or hurting me in their panic.

Back
Top Bottom