Hose length ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 7' hose routes down from the first stage and is secured in some manner at the right hip, either by having a loop shoved down under the waist strap, by running under a pocket or knife, or by running under a light canister. It then comes up across the chest to the left neck, behind the neck and around the right side of the face to the mouth. HERE are pictures of that hose routing.

What is the thinking regarding wrapping the 7' hose around your neck. In an OOA situation and a diver grabs the reg out of your mouth won't having the hose wrapped around your neck cause problems?

Thanks!!

Just tilt your head foward and the hose will slide over your head letting the OOG diver float 2 meters away.

Seems to me it would get caught on your snorkel then. And yes, I use a snorkel. So what is the reasoning behind wrapping the hose around your neck?

In an OOA situation and a diver grabs the reg out of your mouth won't having the hose wrapped around your neck cause problems?
That same "failure mode" also exists for a standard length hose. If an OOA diver grabs the second stage from behind and/or to the donating diver's left, then the hose will be pulled across their neck. Worse than that, there is no way to get any slack to loosen it, so you are pretty much stuck with it there until you can get the OOA diver to calm down enough to reposition it.

With the seven footer, as long as you are in good horizontal trim, then all you have to do is duck your head and it will usually slide right off. In that position, it is coiled very much like a spring, so it's not as likely to get caught as you would think.

Seems to me it would get caught on your snorkel then. And yes, I use a snorkel. So what is the reasoning behind wrapping the hose around your neck?
The hose is wrapped to keep it tucked out the way when not in use. Believe it or not, it will actually lay much closer to your body than a standard length hose. If it is stowed in this way, then it can be rapidly deployed and/or replaced, but does not require any extra accessories (bungee, etc) to secure it.

Most people who adopt this configuration do not wear a snorkel, which is totally unnecessary anyway when you are underwater. If the dive requires use of a snorkel at the surface (such as for a long surface swim), then snorkel is detached and stowed elsewhere during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom