Hose config sanity check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S0ckm0nk3y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,

I'm in the midst of getting a DIR setup together. I've been buying bits and pieces from folks on scubaboard, ebay, and my favorite LDS. I decided to go scubapro for my regs due to better availability and price. Sadly the LDS I like isn't a SP dealer so I am forced to bring my new-to-me stuff to another shop. I haven't had the greatest experience there but they're nearby and have a rep for doing pretty good work... in spite of a surly and often unpleasant demenor.

So I dropped my regs off and the guy took one look at the hose config and told me that it would never work. I tried to explain why it would and how I would route the long hose but the more I explained the more adamant and arrogant he became. It wasn't the long hose exactly he objected to... he mostly had a problem with the fact that the long hose came out the bottom of the swivel on the first stage.

I walked out of there somewhat boggled (and a little upset) since they have a pretty big tech diver clientelle. This shop is a distributor for all the major DIR brands too.

Is it possible they've never seen hoses connected to a MK25 in the manner I chose to set them up?

I followed this web page I've seen mentioned in this forum previously:
http://www.costablancascuba.com/dir/

Did I prey victim to a random DIR webpage... or was I totally justified in following the example above?

Thanks much,

-Eric

Depends--
Is this for a singles or doubles setup? If it's for a doubles setup, the 7ft hose does not come out of the bottom.
doublesfront.jpg

If it's for a singles setup, it does, and in fact routes quite nicely that way.
singlefront.jpg

Hey... yep its for a single... my 5 ft hose comes out of the bottom... and I used the exact photos you posted as my model from http://www.costablancascuba.com/dir/

Whew... I'm glad that guy was a assclown and it wasn't me.

Sweet.. thanks for the sanity check.

-Eric

Did he give you a reason why it would "never work"? Any tech instructor (or tech diver, for that matter) should be able to offer a rational reason for why their gear is set up the way it is ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I'm not sure who the guy was... he wasn't the guy doing the service that's for sure... he might very well be just a retail monkey who just works there.

The reasons were not well thought out... they ranged from getting tangled ... or just not supposed to be that way... or hitting the back of my head or something... it wasn't so much the reasons that bugged me so much.. it was his attitude.

And mostly irked me because it made me question my decision to put the hoses on in this way... which had come from HOURS of reading this forum and other random DIR info on the web.

If I had an aversion to this place to begin with... it is now cast in... in uh... something hard and permanent.

-Eric

Did you tell him that you were paying for reg service and not his opinion on your gear setup? :D

The very best way for you to get things done your way if for you to do it yourself. There is nothing especially unusual there and there is no reason I am aware of that would require only a "tech" to install your new hoses. If you do it yourself there is no need to argue with somebody who knows nothing.

Just curious but I thought that one of the standards of DIR was to use the same configuration whenever possible. I guess I did not realize that it was required to reconfigure the hose routing from single to double. N

Well... I tried to just be calm and breathe lest my inner NYer comes out.

Well... actually I was there for service on my regulators which I had just bought used.

I installed the hoses myself before driving the the DS:wink:

-Eric

Nemrod:
The very best way for you to get things done your way if for you to do it yourself. There is nothing especially unusual there and there is no reason I am aware of that would require only a "tech" to install your new hoses. If you do it yourself there is no need to argue with somebody who knows nothing. N

Nemrod:
I guess I did not realize that it was required to reconfigure the hose routing from single to double. N
Well, you do have less hoses per 1st stage given that the diver has split the hoses onto 2 1st stages

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom