Horsetooth Reservoir in Fort Collins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peteco

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Supposedly the beach is redone up at Horsetooth, I'm going to be doing a dive there tomorrow sometime if anyone wants to come. It's a cold dive, and not a very deep one, but a chance to get wet.

Pete

Hi Pete,

What beach are you thinking of? And what time were you thinking of getting in the water?

glenn

I dove sunrise beach a few years ago, access to it really sucks unless you can unlock the gate but the dive wasn't that bad. I would like to dive horsetooth again this summer if the rain ever lets up here of course...

Sunrise beach access is really good now. You can drive a car down to the lower parking lot and waddle right in. There's restrooms and a small picnic shelter.

Tropical 49F water temp, muddy banks and a low water line. Visibility, at best, was 3ft. That diminished to about 3in after the normal entry commotion and siltation.

Cool stuff to see? After a few minutes I thought just seeing my gauges was pretty cool.
:tongue:

I dove Horsetooth today. We took a boat and dove in Dixon Cove.

Eardrum healed up nicely, no SNAP!-dizziness/vertigo and off to see the doctor like last time.

It was a totally different story than 3 weeks ago. The coldest water temp was 56 degrees (62 at surface), visibility was an honest 12 feet and there were some neat rock mini-walls to dive on. Saw a few fish and crawdads. Again, not all that much to see other than rock, but that was a far cry from the 1ft vis silt dive last time.

I needed a light to see my computer on my wrist last time. This time I needed no light at all. Max depth today was about 30 feet.

Dove Horsetooth again yesterday. Off Sunrise beach. They have the buoys out now.

Lots of swimmers there, you could see the massive silt cloud drifting out from the parking lot. Vis sucked until we got under the silt canopy, about 12 feet. Then visibility was around 8 feet but needed a light at times due to the silt above.

Found a golf ball, didn't dare touch the bottom except that two finger golf ball pinch lest the silt produce zero vis.

Thermocline at 17 feet, from about 59 degrees to around 54-ish. Max depth we dove was 32 feet.

If anyone is up for a quick shore dive at Horsetooth today, let me know. Wish I could take my boat there, but it won't be ready till next week.

Anyway, I'm ten mins from the reservoir, just need a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom