Horseshoe or Donut Wing - butt dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FM1520:
I have a DSS horseshoe wing and dumping air through the "butt" valve is no problem. It's likely with a doughnut wing the tank is pressing on the bottom of wing. Bottom line: it doesn't make much difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I notice a difference.

Its marginally easier to dump from both sides of the wing equally with a doughnut. Not a big deal by any stretch, of course. With a horseshoe, there's only one channel for air to migrate between the left and right side of the wing. With a doughnut, there's two. After a few years of diving with a doughnut then switching back to a horseshoe for a few dives, I found that I use this bottom channel to move air around a bit.

Minor detail, but it is a thing.

Thank you for the responses, gents.
I love my eclipse (donut-shaped) wing so much for single tank diving, never had any difficulty dumping using the OPV.
Having so much fun with the donut wing, I am little reluctant in using horseshoe, I don't know if it will have the same convenience or not.

With the donut shape, mostly I move and equalize the air on right and left wing by tilting my rear end slightly upward.
With horseshoe I read that to equalize is just tilting your left arm higher up. Maybe it is not as inconvenient as I thought...

Looking at the responses to my question:
- 50% said that there is no noticeable difference in performance (and dumping)
- 50% said there are SLIGHT difference, where donut-shaped is preferable

I guess I can't justify extra $$$ for SLIGHT difference in performance... :)

Some people actually prefer the u- shaped wing bc it is easier to "park" gas to one side to compensate for stages. I'm with AJ, however, I prefer the donut. But I do own a u-shaped wing that I take when I travel to Mexico and it really isn't that big of a difference.

[/COLOR]

Thank you for the responses, gents.
I love my eclipse (donut-shaped) wing so much for single tank diving, never had any difficulty dumping using the OPV.
Having so much fun with the donut wing, I am little reluctant in using horseshoe, I don't know if it will have the same convenience or not.

With the donut shape, mostly I move and equalize the air on right and left wing by tilting my rear end slightly upward.
With horseshoe I read that to equalize is just tilting your left arm higher up. Maybe it is not as inconvenient as I thought...

Looking at the responses to my question:
- 50% said that there is no noticeable difference in performance (and dumping)
- 50% said there are SLIGHT difference, where donut-shaped is preferable

I guess I can't justify extra $$$ for SLIGHT difference in performance... :)

I also think there are some differences. Whether you see it or not depends on your setup. You don't see it if tank(s) is longer than the wing. You will feel it if wing is longer than the tank(s). For DSS, their wings are on the short side, so with usually size doubles, there will be no air pass through the bottom. But if you use longer wing like Halcyon Evolve 40, This wing is longer than HP100/LP80 type of tanks. So yeah, air can definitely be at the bottom arch depend on your trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom