Horrifying experience that nearly killed my new dog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
e's lower jaw and was tightened like a tourniquet on Lindy's neck. Katie keeps trying to free herself by shaking her head which hurts Lindy and brings her out of the strangulation haze to fight some more. I can't get the release (looks like this) on the collar to let go even though I finally manage to pinch the mechanism with my quickly freezing hands. The collar is just too tight and I'm watching my dog dying before my
Ber

That's really creepy. I always thought the fastex buckles would release.

Glad they're OK.

Terry

Web Monkey:
That's really creepy. I always thought the fastex buckles would release.

Glad they're OK.

Terry

Not when they're twisted that tight. I was able to squeeze the release but there was so much pressure on the buckle that it was jammed and wouldn't release. My vet said that's it's not unusual for them to jam like that under heavy stress.
Ber

Collars are for walks, for use in public areas, and from the truck to the Vet and back to the truck.
I'm glad your dogs are doing fine. Had a buddies dog hang his collar on some rebar at one of our hunting sites, he was crossing the Irrigation Ditch. Geothermal Well kept the water warm, but it was about 20'F and wind blowing. By the time my buddy got out with his dog, he was half froze, I gave him my jacket after stripping his top off, and ran for the truck, 2 miles, and I HATE running......
Collars, they hang on the weirdest things........

Hubby said when he let the girls out this morning they went straight to the spot where the incident occurred and spent nearly 5 minutes sniffing around. He thought that was a little disturbing.

Mrjimboalaska, where do you keep your dog's tags? I need something safe to keep the tags on when the dogs are outside playing.
Ber :lilbunny:

Man, what a story. I'm happy you and the puppys are ok.

Ber Rabbit:
Mrjimboalaska, where do you keep your dog's tags? I need something safe to keep the tags on when the dogs are outside playing.

did you see the safety collar a few pages back?

My dog wears a collar from www.tazlab.com for the exact same reason.

If you aren't around and the dog gets hung up, it could end very badly. I'm glad to hear that you and the dogs are ok.

FWIW, the owners of Tazlab are divers as well--I'll ask them to stop by! My dog is "Lexi" btw, if you check out the site.

Ber Rabbit:
Hubby said when he let the girls out this morning they went straight to the spot where the incident occurred and spent nearly 5 minutes sniffing around. He thought that was a little disturbing.

You can alway use tattoos &/or ID chip implants

I keep the tags on the collar, but the collar is hardly ever on the dogs. I've never had a dog that would run off so never had to worry about that. I guess chipping is the new "in" thing.
I guess if you live in an area where "laws" dictate what you need to do, your choices are limited. I'm relatively new at this city dwelling thing, but in the country, let them play in the back 40....
Sounds like they were playing and things went bad, according to your hubby saying they went to the spot and investigated, they are smart animals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom