Horizontal ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There is a question I have been trying out to figure out the answer for some time.

DIR trained divers descent and ascent horizontally. The descent part is pretty easy. I am wondering on the ascent part. The usual ascent procedure we have been taught when we first started diving is to ascent with a vertical position, air out of BCD, and fin kick upward. Ok, how do we do this when we are maintainly our position horizontally?

I know I will have the answer by the time I actually have the chance to take DIR-F. Anyway, guess you guys can probably help me out for the moment.

Thanks a ton!

You don't need to kick to ascend. If you're neutral in the water, a big breath will be more than enough to get you moving upward... start exhaling slowly as soon as you start moving up to control the movement. Vent the BC as necessary.

Breath control is *the* key in buoyancy.. whether you're descending, ascending, or maintaining neutral.

My husband keeps asking, "Why ascend horizontally?" His thesis being that all risks are above you, and therefore being vertical allows you a better field of view toward what you are about to get into. The idea of buddy awareness works just fine when vertical, too, and venting both the wing and dry suit are easier in that position. Why ascend horizontally? I was going to ask this question at DIR-F, but since it was brought up . . .

Ascending horizontally gives you more surface area or resistance, thus you ascend slower and more in control than you can when vertical.

I find that if I'm holding my last stop in "blue water" then I like to roll over on my back and check out the surface. For one thing it's wonderful to watch the interplay of light upon the water's surface. Another reason is that it caters the old schooler in me where I was taught to ascend vertically and rotating while looking at the surface. Most times I'm doing this is under a boat or under and SMB, so frankly I'm not to worried about being hit by another boat.

TSandM:
My husband keeps asking, "Why ascend horizontally?" His thesis being that all risks are above you, and therefore being vertical allows you a better field of view toward what you are about to get into. The idea of buddy awareness works just fine when vertical, too, and venting both the wing and dry suit are easier in that position. Why ascend horizontally? I was going to ask this question at DIR-F, but since it was brought up . . .

Because you offgas more efficently with your lungs in a horizontal position i.e. you are using all of your lungs rather than partially compression a portion slightly more and getting less use from them. That is the biggest reason. It also encourages better bouyancy technique and you are generally in a better position to get to, and assist, your buddy immediately.

RTodd:
Because you offgas more efficently with your lungs in a horizontal position i.e. you are using all of your lungs rather than partially compression a portion slightly more and getting less use from them. That is the biggest reason. It also encourages better bouyancy technique and you are generally in a better position to get to, and assist, your buddy immediately.

That was what I have learned prior to knowing anything about DIR. For that reason, I have been trying to maintain horizontal when making safety stops. I have heard that some suggesting to swim around horizontally when making safety stops making offgas even more efficiently.

Thanks for all the answers on my questions on horizontal ascent.

Ciao.

wunat:
That was what I have learned prior to knowing anything about DIR. For that reason, I have been trying to maintain horizontal when making safety stops. I have heard that some suggesting to swim around horizontally when making safety stops making offgas even more efficiently.

Thanks for all the answers on my questions on horizontal ascent.

Ciao.

A little bit of movement to keep up circulation is good. But, on O2 or other high PPO2 mix, you want to avoid much exertion.

There are several reasons to stay horizontal.

You can quickly reach both above or below if your buddy (at a slightly different depth) has a problem.

By being horizontal you can create a lot of drag to control your ascent or descent.

You know you are controlling your buoyancy properly and not unconsciously finning to do it so you develop good habits. Controlling depth by finning requires you to be tilted up or down. It's amazing how many new (and not so new) divers aren't even aware that they are constantly finning at a 45 degree angle to keep their depth. I've seen people deny that they do it after watching them do it for the whole dive.

I recently had a fun relaxing slow ascent to the surface recently where my buddy and I turned face up to the surface while still horizontal and slowly came up from our 10' stop. We got where we were each trying to get closer than the other to the surface without actually contacting it. Being face-up made the experience a bit different.

It was fun at the time, but in reading what I just wrote I guess you had to be there. :D

I'm curious about this too. I can understand the surface area aspect and the slowness, but it was impressed on me in training that one should know what is above you. My instructor told a story about a guy who nearly died ascending into the tendrils of a Portugese Man 'O War. Needless to say I'm quite careful about what is above me since then. How does DIR reconcile the need to know what is above with the horizontal ascent?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom