Horizon SCR in cold-water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though the units have some similarities- its comparing apples with oranges. Each unit is what it is. The Horizon comes as a gas-expander enabling shallow sport-dives to be less bubbly and bring a whole new world of diving to photographers-
the rEvo is a technical hybrid CCR, extremely light in its titanium version and offering lots of manual adjustments to fit your needs enabling dives of >4hrs in the standard config.

The ADV must be adjusted to the diver and so other adjustments must be made such as the CMF down to the harness.

Yesterday, I noticed that Mares put the Horizon manuals as downloadable PDFs online. From there, the answer is 'yes', the unit can be attached to a steel backplate. Four screws connect the rebreather case with the soft plate of the OEM harness. You only need to drill four holes in the new steel backplate, and you are done.

So, one problem solved, another problem identified:
According to the Mares manual, the IP hoses from the tanks must not be connected to the unit when immersed. They may be disconnected from the unit when wet, but must not be re-connected prior sweet water rinsing and drying. Hence, when diving from a RIB, you have to roll backwards with the tanks already attached. After dive, you may climb the ladder with your tanks, or hand the tanks to the boat crew beforehand and do some maintenance afterwards. Need to check the market for alternative dry connectors.

So, one problem solved, another problem identified:
According to the Mares manual, the IP hoses from the tanks must not be connected to the unit when immersed. They may be disconnected from the unit when wet, but must not be re-connected prior sweet water rinsing and drying. Hence, when diving from a RIB, you have to roll backwards with the tanks already attached. After dive, you may climb the ladder with your tanks, or hand the tanks to the boat crew beforehand and do some maintenance afterwards. Need to check the market for alternative dry connectors.

Man this sucks completely.

Great catch, and it means I am not much interested in these, unless the dry connectors are possible.

Have you seen such dry connectors before?

Man this sucks completely.

Great catch, and it means I am not much interested in these, unless the dry connectors are possible.

Have you seen such dry connectors before?
I suspect a pair of QC6 would fix their issues. I don't know if the male end of the proprietary connection (Horizon has male on the unit itself) has DESO (double end shut off) or a check valve, but I bet you could put a female QC6 on each side and male QC6 on each cylinder reg and address this concern. However, you will lose any source of suit/wing inflation by passing tanks up in this manner.

Yeah, took a look at the QC-6 already. There is a variety of modified QC-6 on the market, with different designs to connect to standard SCUBA hoses.

I set the Horizon project on hold, because of the total price for the unit and all the extras to make it usable.
Unit price 4,500 Euros, plus 6mm stainless steel back-plate and harness for cold-water (+ 320 Euros), a stand taken from the rEvo shelf (200 Euros) and four QC-6 (two male, two female) at 90 Euros each, adding up to 5,380 Euros. That's more expensive than a Poseidon Sport CCR with the same maximum operating depth. These one-off costs don't reveal the whole picture, but it is enough to say "stop" and re-think ...

Back
Top Bottom