Hoping for some direction regarding atypical symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is MBHOT treatment?

You are generally in a soft sided chamber, which they pressurize to 1.3 ATAs for an hour or so, breathing 90-95% O2 through a standard mask at 8 LPM. I am no expert here, but doing some amateur math, I figured it equated to sitting at 10 ft under, breathing 50% (maybe less) O2.

I am definitely not endorsing this, and know a medical professional would tell me I am wasting my time, but in absence of better ideas, I figured it was worth a throw to see what happened.

Not a Dr., and all of my comments are anecdotal.... First stop diving. Not what you want to hear, but your body needs to heal. I can't say for how long, but age and your physical health will determine that. Your symptoms seem nerve related and they take a while to heal.

Thanks, one thing that's concerned me is the escalation of symptoms from Belize to the Maldives, I don't want to see what happens on a third trip. I agree, and will wait until things have completely resolved.

Thanks, one thing that's concerned me is the escalation of symptoms from Belize to the Maldives, I don't want to see what happens on a third trip. I agree, and will wait until things have completely resolved.
I never stopped diving and volunteer at an aquarium in Tampa, where I generally dive several times a week. My tinnitus seems to get worse right after a dive and then gets back to normal after a few hours. Most of the time I am able to ignore it.

You are generally in a soft sided chamber, which they pressurize to 1.3 ATAs for an hour or so, breathing 90-95% O2 through a standard mask at 8 LPM. I am no expert here, but doing some amateur math, I figured it equated to sitting at 10 ft under, breathing 50% (maybe less) O2.

I am definitely not endorsing this, and know a medical professional would tell me I am wasting my time, but in absence of better ideas, I figured it was worth a throw to see what happened.
90% at 8lpm is basically snake oil IMO. Not a medical professional, but that sounds like snake oil. 1.3 on 100% *or 95% if using a PSA machine for O2 generation* and breathing out of a regulator probably has legitimate benefits, but 1.3 is a far cry from 0.6

90% at 8lpm is basically snake oil IMO. Not a medical professional, but that sounds like snake oil. 1.3 on 100% *or 95% if using a PSA machine for O2 generation* and breathing out of a regulator probably has legitimate benefits, but 1.3 is a far cry from 0.6

Yep, I don't disagree, and your opinion is consistent with what else I've read online regarding it.

Yep, I don't disagree, and your opinion is consistent with what else I've read online regarding it.

Curious. Was it covered by your healthcare plan? What do they charge for that?

Curious. Was it covered by your healthcare plan? What do they charge for that?

I've bought a 10 pack for $36 per session (or $360), but I think in general it costs $80-$120 or so. I have not tried to put it through my insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom