hooking camera to BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weird. I've done a few photo event dives where I have been on a cattle boat full of photographers. Many with really big, expensive rigs. It seems like most of them that I see don't have any lanyard at all. I have never noticed anyone carrying a camera rig that was attached to them with TWO lanyards/cords.

I was taught early on that a redundant attachment helped reduce the chance of accidental loss. For example, when getting back on the boat, I undo the wrist lanyard and hand the camera to the crew on the boat with the extended coil lanyard still attached to me. When the crew confirms receipt, only then do I disconnect the coil lanyard.
I know it is probably overkill.

I definitely prefer the bolt snap to the suicide clips on the one barmaglot posted.

I looked this up and hmmm, interesting, never realized the potential difference. Personally, I'm not too worried - I have no intention of going any place where entanglement might be a hazard, and I absolutely do not detach the clip from my BCD while I'm in the water, with the singular exception of boat entry/exit, but I guess I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity to replace the clip with a bolt snap just in case.

Up until about half way through my last dive trip in August, I used a coil lanyard with 2 bolt-snaps - one for the metal tray and one for my D-Ring - as well as a wrist lanyard. While preparing to hand my rig up to the boat crew, the coil broke and luckily I still had the wrist strap on (that is the last attachment I remove). I replaced the coil with a loop of bungee cord tied to each D-Ring. It feels much more secure than the plastic coil.

One lanyard and bolt snap on both sides is more than enough... even if you're paranoid (to lose your gear), i mean it's not motorized! Even if it disconnect or whatever you gonna grab it, nor that you watch it for the next 10 minutes saying good bye.... and so the most important point: make your gear neutral (or near to be neutral), use floating arms (or any other float).. don't let it sink 1 meter per second, in that case.. yes.. you should be paranoid, but because your gear buoyancy isn't tuned at all.
Also, I wouldn't resiste more than 5 minutes with a heavy gear (or a positive one) ... the hands gonna hurt after a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom