Hookah surface supply / Petrol powered Shhhhhhh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squid88

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy,
Im interested in as quiet as possible Gas/ petrol powered hookah. Light and portable minimum 5cfm free air @130psi.

My ideal unit would be a two stage compressor 175psi with at least 6cfm @175psi but finding that in a lightweight scenario has proved difficult. So if I can't I would take the minimum.

I'd love the whole unit after sound suppression technique to be under 60-65db

I am quite capable of piecing my own together so if anyone knows of a good lightweight 2 stage compressor pump (likely oil bath with suitable compliment breathing compressor grade oil and filterstion) that would be great.

To meet those specs I assume I'll need somewhere around 6.5-8hp engine combined with a 2-3hp compressor pump. I still may have to run reduced drive but to be quiet I'd like to turn the compressor less then 1000rpm more like 700 and the motor maybe 1000-1200. If I could direct drive that would be better.

The other major component I'll need is the quietest engine. To me that would be a high torque liquid cooled small 2 stroke. They can be made to run much quieter then 4 strokes.

I'd love to hear if anyone knows of a super quiet alternative to the normal (way too loud GX Honda four strokes typically found.) Other then the Subaru robin or similar.

I'm not adverse to oil free compressors but it's hard to find one that can produce the numbers I am talking about but I'm open to it.

My budget is probably around $2000 Aud for motor and compressor pump. Less is better of corse.

Most Suitable pump I have found is a Ingersoll Rand 5hp type 30 model 2340

It's close but massively heavy and a bit bigger then I require.

What are you using this for? If this is for short duration shallow dives it might be easier to just use a scuba tank and regulator with a 50' hose between the 1st & 2nd stages. Easy, lite, quiet and you probably have everything you need except the 50' hose.

Why do you want 175#? Going deep?

This is to run my dive hat and in case I need to go deep.
I already have stuff for banked air but it's too heavy to get the same supply of air. I work mostly shallow and would need about 500cuft of supply. When I work deep it's shorter typically but it's nice to know you have ample supply if things go sideways. I do use bailout and may likely have an a cylinder or two as bank air surface back up if needed. But anyway.

Like I said I can go less then 175psi but 175psi would be nice though. That's really only speccing to around 100' / 30m so it's not real deep anyway. I can dial down my crack pressure (best set at 135psi) and tune my second to breath easy @115psi surface. So that only leaves max 30psi over ambient with a 145psi unit at peak and then she will breath harder. 175psi would be much better. BTW I have hats and band masks and standard 2nd stages and are all the same. I won't be changing to hookah regs that work off lower crack pressure as I use this same stuff with first stages, banked air and scuba so it needs to play nice together that means keeping crack pressure within a certain range of first stages etc.

I've found a set up that's 9cuft/min intake and 145psi so I reckon it's on the minimal side but just makes the cut. Only thing it's still 80db which is way too loud for me although I think I could loose 10db with a few tricks I don't know if I could loose 20 which would be ideal would be getting close to a descent set up

I'm still looking for options though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom