Hookah diver drowns - Tung Ping Chau, Hong Kong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Man drowns in night dive in Tung Ping Chau
A 47-year-old man drowned while diving at Tung Ping Chau last night. He was suspected to have been “hookah diving” at the time of the accident.
Police received a report that the a man had gone missing in the sea off Tung Ping Chau Pier at 10.53pm last night. He was later rescued by a friend. The man was sent to the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital by helicopter while unconscious at midnight and was confirmed dead at the hospital.
After a preliminary investigation, it is believed that he drowned while diving. The cause of death will be determined after an autopsy.
It was understood that the man rented a boat for hookah diving in Tung Ping Chau with three friends, during which he went missing.
Hookah diving, known as snuba diving, consists of a battery or gas-powered air compressor that delivers air through a long hose called a down-line to the diver under water. It is considered an alternative somewhere in between snorkeling and scuba diving.

Hookah diving, known as snuba diving, consists of a battery or gas-powered air compressor that delivers air through a long hose called a down-line to the diver under water. It is considered an alternative somewhere in between snorkeling and scuba diving.

Yikes!

Yikes!
I think Snuba refers to a Float and Scuba Tank floated....Hookah is is using an Air Compressor.

I think Snuba refers to a Float and Scuba Tank floated....Hookah is is using an Air Compressor.
What I posted was taken from the OP posted story, copied and pasted. I find it a bit shocking that anyone would go diving depending on a battery-operated air supply!
Snuba wasn't mentioned in the article. Why are you bringing it up? Did I miss something?

What I posted was taken from the OP posted story, copied and pasted. I find it a bit shocking that anyone would go diving depending on a battery-operated air supply!
People using modern electronically-controlled rebreathers do this every day.
Not me, of course, I only used purely-mechanical CC pure-oxygen rebreathers, and gave up with them around 1981...
Regarding an Hookah, I think that a battery-operated electrical compressor is probably much more safe than one with a gasoline engine. The risk of exhaust gas contaminating the compressed air is serious...
And the few times I used an hookah system, I did always carry my pony tank with me (and a quick-disconnect device on the hose from surface, in case it got entangled).
An Hookah system, if configured and employed properly, is not a dangerous device.

People using modern electronically-controlled rebreathers do this every day.
Not me, of course, I only used purely-mechanical CC pure-oxygen rebreathers, and gave up with them around 1981...
Regarding an Hookah, I think that a battery-operated electrical compressor is probably much more safe than one with a gasoline engine. The risk of exhaust gas contaminating the compressed air is serious...
And the few times I used an hookah system, I did always carry my pony tank with me (and a quick-disconnect device on the hose from surface, in case it got entangled).
An Hookah system, if configured and employed properly, is not a dangerous device.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing while I was writing that post, not for me either. IMO rebreathers aren't yet ready for prime time. Even if I was in my 20's I wouldn't consider using one until they get to the point where they wouldn't put a diver to sleep.

Snuba wasn't mentioned in the article. Why are you bringing it up? Did I miss something?
Relax,just trying to differentiate the Two.I see a lot of People using those terms incorrectly...surface-scuba=Snuba.....stoneshirt

Relax,just trying to differentiate the Two.I see a lot of People using those terms incorrectly...surface-scuba=Snuba.....stoneshirt
I did miss Snuba in the story! News stories are not the place to look for the accurate use of diving terminology that's for sure! How often is O2 used instead of air in a news story? Or flippers instead of fins? I don't even notice it anymore.

Not any worse than a gas powered hookah or a scuba k valve with no SPG. The hookahs are usually limited to about 60' so it's a quick cesa unless one has other problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom