Hoody Advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hannesv

Reaction score
Some advice please. When diving hoody, do you make holes in the hoody for equalising? And if you do, where do you make the holes. In line with the ars or on top so the air goes topside?

I'm glad you cleared that one up. You had me worried for a moment. I wasn't sure you knew your ars from your elbow!

As for your serious question: don't make holes in your hood.

I dont think you need them. It's not like there is a vast amount of air you blow out your ears to equalize.
On the other hand, I did make some holes in the top of the hood to let air out thet gets trapped from my bubbles. The holes were then covered with a piece of neopreme with holes that are offset from the holes in the hood. I got the idea from looking at the high price hoods that are sold now with the holes pre-made.

I have one of the Henderson hoods with the pre-made hole in the top. That's right - it's for preventing air from building up in the top of the hood - not for equalizing. I usually just slip a finger between my face and the hood when I am equalizing if I feel like I need to release some pressure.

I always "pop" my hood (let a little water in to fill my ears) as soon as I get in. This works fine.

As for holes, on my wetsuit hoods I burn (with soldering iron) a couple tiny holes in the top to prevent the conehead effect. My drysuit hood has a valve thingee for this same purpose.

I would not make ear holes.

Tom

Originally posted by dkerr

On the other hand, I did make some holes in the top of the hood to let air out thet gets trapped from my bubbles

I have a tendancy to just run my hand from the back of my head forward to clear out the trapped air when I get it :)

Originally posted by funky__monks
I have a tendancy to just run my hand from the back of my head forward to clear out the trapped air when I get it :)

Ah but you have to notice it's happening... A sharp-eyed photographer might catch you looking like Zippy the Pinhead before you notice! :)

Tom

I used a hot nail to put 2 small holes in the top of my hood. I tend to get enough air in there that the face seals pull hard enough to hurt. I havn't had anything but good results from my hood ever since

Welshman - thanks for the confidence (hee hee). And so it proves again that this board really have good advice.. Thanks all. Holes on top it is going to be, and no holes in line with any thing else.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom