Hooded vest question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased my first hooded vest (5M) on line. I slipped it on and it seems to fit ok. I have what may be a very stupid newbe question. The hood covers everything but my eyes...including my mouth. I assume that I'm supposed to cut the area around the mouth and chin. Not wanting to damage the soft seals around the opening by going about this wrong, does anyone have first hand experiance with this alteration.

thanks

Well, a well-fitting hooded vest should cover part of your forehead, perhaps most, and your chin, so that you can i) put the 2nd stage in your mouth without any cutting anything at all, and ii) your mask (and getting the hood part over your mask to prevent flooding).

My guess is that the vest is way too large for you; are you pulling it way too much up your face?

Wetsuit and vests, one really has to try on.

I hope this helps.

Check this guy's hood out-------never heard of having to cut one out....
IMG_0810-sm.jpg

I agree with the above that it is strange that the hood is covering so much of your face......but; Sure, you can trim your hood. Plenty of people do it. I trimmed mine the following way:

Put your hood/vest on, and fit your mask so it is comfortable in the correct position, and over oiutside of the neoprene. Fit your reg in your mouth as well, to ensure that your mask is in fact in the correct position.
Get a white/silver etc marker of some sort (I used a very soft, white pencil), and mark the outline of the mask.

Take off the hood/vest and then re-mark inside the outline you just did, about 3/8". This is where you will cut with very sharp scissors. The extra 3/8" is rolled over the outside of your mask skirt when you put it on.

Obviously in your case, you may want to cut around other areas to your preference.

Hope this helps. :)

Pinto

I agree that it doos sound too large.

A lot of hoods have a trimable face seal but that usually applies to the top half of the opening where it meets your mask. I have never heard of needing to trim it to expose your mouth.

FWIW here is a procedure on trimming the seal to fit.

Pete

I just purchased my first hooded vest (5M) on line. I slipped it on and it seems to fit ok. I have what may be a very stupid newbe question. The hood covers everything but my eyes...including my mouth. I assume that I'm supposed to cut the area around the mouth and chin. Not wanting to damage the soft seals around the opening by going about this wrong, does anyone have first hand experiance with this alteration.

thanks

I agree with the others, it sounds like it is too big. I have never seen a hood cover that much of your face, and NEVER heard of needing to cut a hole for your mouth!
Some hoods are made such that you can "trim" slightly around chin and mask area, but anything more than that....???

What hood did you buy? Who is it made by?

Funniest string I have ever read...fell off my chair reading it.

Thanks to everyone for both the advice and a the funny strings. I trimed it based on the pointer one of the replies set and everything seems to be working out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom