hooded nudibranchs ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Did a dive at Edmonds Underwater Park yesterday with Uncle Pug ... and although it was very low tide and vis wasn't all that great, there was one aspect of the dive that was rather special.

On the way out, in the eel grass, I noticed some egg masses ... then spotted a hooded nudibranch. I got Uncle Pug's attention to point it out, and while he was getting a picture I noticed a couple more. Looking around I realized we had wandered into a nudibranch convention ... there were hundreds of egg masses and dozens of hooded nudibranchs within visual range (which was about 10 feet).

That was the most hooded nudis I've ever seen (collectively, in over 1,000 dives in Puget Sound) ... and on the way back in we saw several more ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The one day that I have been diving at Edmonds, the eelgrass was literally festooned with tiny nudibranchs -- I don't know what kind, but they looked like tiny white flowers decorating the grass stalks. It must be a good year for them!

any photos to share from it?

rachelscott51:
any photos to share from it?
Uncle Pug took some ... he works on Sunday, so we'll have to see if he wants to share them when he has some time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Did a dive at Edmonds Underwater Park yesterday with Uncle Pug ... and although it was very low tide and vis wasn't all that great, there was one aspect of the dive that was rather special.

On the way out, in the eel grass, I noticed some egg masses ... then spotted a hooded nudibranch. I got Uncle Pug's attention to point it out, and while he was getting a picture I noticed a couple more. Looking around I realized we had wandered into a nudibranch convention ... there were hundreds of egg masses and dozens of hooded nudibranchs within visual range (which was about 10 feet).

That was the most hooded nudis I've ever seen (collectively, in over 1,000 dives in Puget Sound) ... and on the way back in we saw several more ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I took about half a roll of photos (yes, I'm still on the cutting edge of technology) of them Friday night. They are spectacular, but the vis is a bit lacking......
I didn't realize until now that the Hooded Nudibranch (Melibe Leonina) spawn at least twice a year. I typically just notice them in the Spring in 40-80 FSW on the low growing kelp.
Here's a photo from last year at 3 tree North.

I've heard people say that after a few dives, Edmonds is boring to them.

Too bad. This is proof that in our ever-changing ocean, there is something of interest that can be found almost anywhere if you just slow down and look.

Nice.

JDR:
I took about half a roll of photos (yes, I'm still on the cutting edge of technology) of them Friday night. They are spectacular, but the vis is a bit lacking......
I didn't realize until now that the Hooded Nudibranch (Melibe Leonina) spawn at least twice a year. I typically just notice them in the Spring in 40-80 FSW on the low growing kelp.
Here's a photo from last year at 3 tree North.
You were probably too busy on Saturday to notice them ... I saw you pulling out of the lot just as we were getting out of the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hooded-Nudibranch-1.jpg

Hooded-Nudibranch-2.jpg

Hooded-Nudibranch-3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom