hooded drysuit sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just picked up an old stock BARE twinshell with integrated hood.

The neck seal is torn but I was wondering if if that matters with the hood. Is it likely that the hood face seal will provide enough seal - is this ever relied upon or do I need to change the neck seal. Its big and made from very thin rubber I cant imagine even in good condition if it could do much.
Im using a full face mask if that makes any difference

Is it possible to repair a torn seal with a patch or does the whole thing need to be repaced.

DrMike:

The neck seal is torn but I was wondering if if that matters with the hood. Is it likely that the hood face seal will provide enough seal - is this ever relied upon or do I need to change the neck seal. Its big and made from very thin rubber I cant imagine even in good condition if it could do much.
Im using a full face mask if that makes any difference

Is it possible to repair a torn seal with a patch or does the whole thing need to be repaced.

A dryhood is usually not.

No.

Change the seal IMO.

Latex seals are thin and seal very well.

FFM would provide a better seal, but if it leaks you're gonna get wet.

No if its latex. You have to replace the seal.

DrMike:

I have on occation repaired torn latex wrist and neck seals in the field by using the Viking patch kit. The patched tear is not as flexible, due to extra thickness of the patch. But, it does work and I've done 8 - 10 dives (dry) on the repair before replacing the seals. I currently have a couple of patches on a wrist seal, due to zebra mussle cuts. These are on the middle of the seal though, not at the edge.

Mike D

It is better to replace the neck seal.
If you have to bailout of the FFM during a dive it is the difference between a wet head and a wet body and head.

You can make your own seal if you are comfortable dipping latex. Making one from sheet material is not so good because of the seam.

One source for latex (liquid) is Monster Makers;
http://www.monstermakers.com/

Latex neck seals aren't that expensive, about $28 for the good heavy ones or less for the paper thin ones that tear easy.
Check with a Kayak joint for the cheapies. Neoprene neck seals run around $25usd or cut your own from a sheet of 1/8".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom