Hood recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericpitar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I currently have a Pinnacle 3mm (or 5mm?) wetsuit with no hood.

1)What are the benefits of using a hood?
2)What features should I look for?
3)Any recommended hood type and brand?
4)I already have a wetsuit so I'd prefer one that would just add to this instead of purchasing a whole new suit w/ hood attached.

Thanks all.

E

Where are you diving? How cold is the water?
Depending on who is saying, you lose a lot of warmth through the scalp -- 25 to 50 per cent or more. Remember how Mom says, "If you're cold, where a hat"? That's why.
My husband prefers hoods that cover his neck. I prefer a beanie. And in our waters (Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas) that will do just fine in late spring and summer.
Any 3-mil hood or beanie should do the trick, and you will be surprised how warm you will feel. I also like how it keeps my hair in place, but that's style.
We don't use one, but some like a hooded vest on colder trips. I'd just stick with head gear, and also some light flexible gloves that fit in my BC pocket when not needed.

Tricia summed it up pretty well.

Even adding a beanie can do a lot for your comfort.

Most hoods used with wetsuits have a bib that gets tucked under the wetsuit before zipping it up. This overlap tries to provide some continuity and closure in the neck area.

The question is how much do you want to increase your thermal protection?

A very effective addition to any fullsuit is a hooded vest. A 3mm hooded "chicken vest" is an incredible accessory. This is a short vest that runs down to the navel or so. The hood will be slightly heavier in weight. All together the items usually represents 3-4 pounds of buoyancy.

The benefits are:
1. The obvious advantage of having coverage on your head and neck.
2. Real closure of the neck opening which is probably the most offensive water entry point in a wetsuit.
3. Forms a labyrinth seal for the suit zipper. Any water that enters needs to follow a torturous path before reaching your skin. By then it's barely noticeable.

Mine is from Bare and I believe there is a Pinnacle item that will compliment your suit. Like any wetsuit item fit is king so try some on to find one with the right proportions, especially in the neck. Be sure to have the seller show you how to get into and especially out of the thing.

Pete

I wear a hood when I get cold. I have a Henderson Hyperstretch because it doesn't feel tight on my head, but still protects--it is really stretchy so it doesn't feel tight even though it is a close fit.

Why not put your personality on your hood? Check out terrapinwetsuits to see what I mean. I LOVE the hood I got from them. They can make the designs into warm water or cold water hoods. They might even custom make something for you if you have an idea of your own, they are GREAT to work with.
Ber :lilbunny:

In 80-82 degrees water and wearing a 2MM shorty: Adding a 5MM bibb hood after the second dive has resulted in me being able to make up to seven dives a day and stay warm. Not wearing it I start feeling the chill around dive three and by number five it’s real annoying. I don’t bother tucking the bibb under the shorty but, the BC goes over the bibb. The hood reduces the amount of gear (especially important on airliners these days) needed while offering plenty of warmth. YMMV

My diving will be most if not all in tropical waters..... Would the hood improve the streamline I wonder?

Is the trouble of donning a full hood (with vest) worth it vs. a beanie?

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

e

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom