hood purge valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know Im an idiot but wouldnt a small hole in the top of the hood let out the air?

Are you purging something besides air from your hood? sometimes I like to purge bad thoughts from mine.

Just a thought...I use a 12mm Otter Bay hood and do not have any holes in it. My hood covers the mask skirt, so when I go to purge my mask some of the air enters my hood. My hood does trap a little bit of air but due to it's thickness and custom fit it has never been an issue. In fact I feel that the trapped air keeps my head and ears warmer.

As to purges I think the XS Scuba hoods come with something, but have never seen a hood purge as an accessory.

no. Even ten small holes wont let out the air well enough and then I have ten holes in my hood and if i dont wana use my full face mask I have a very cold head.

What are you doing that gets that much gas in your hood? My hood came with a small vent with a flap, that works fine. If it didn't I would use a small hot nail to make one (and simultaneously clean up the edges). If 10 holes is insufficient, it seems to me like you should change your practices rather than your equipment.

I guess the alternative is to buy a drysuit dump valve and install it on your head. Apeks makes a good valve: Apeks Auto Dump Valve. You would probably want to install it somewhere between the back and top of your head, so it doesn't interfere with your mask strap and you can vent your hood while in horizontal trim. I would, however, like to see the end result. Also the looks on other divers faces when you show up with what I imagine most divers - even those who scorn equipment standardization - would call an unconventional setup.

Take a decent sized nail, heat it up & burn a hole in the top. Do the same thing over each ear.

If that's not enough to take care of it I'd hate to find out how much gas you're blowing into your hood.

I have an OTS full face mask in the mail and need a hood purge for my neoprene hood!

Where do I get one of these? How much are they?

Thanks!

I've never used a ffm, but doesn't it have an exhaust valve in/near the reg already?

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom