Honolulu dive resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do they have any dive resorts in or near Honolulu? If not could someone recommend accommodations for a week of diving in November. Thanks

No dive resorts like in Roatan or Belize. There are dive shops that will take you on boat dives and some might pick you up from your hotel and take you to the marina.

As @grantwiscour said, there aren’t any “dive resorts” like you might find in the Caribbean or Coral Triangle.

While Oahu does have some great diving, it’s not really a “dive destination”. People typically come to Oahu for the above water activities, and then maybe take a day or two off for some diving. There are dive shops that will pick you up at your hotel and drive you to the dive boat in the marina but that’s as close as you will get.

Unfortunately, in November, the North Shore swell is usually already roaring so that knocks out many of the best shore and reef sites (Shark’s cove, Three Tables, Haleiwa trench, Waimea). You’ll likely only be able to dive the south or maybe the west coast which are predominantly boat dives.

The south coast has four or five great wrecks, and a half dozen other decent ones. West side has one great wreck.

For reefs, south shore has maybe 4 really worthwhile dives and the rest are just “okay”, but it’s nothing like you’d get on the north shore or on another Hawaiian island.

You often don’t get a say in which sites are being done each day by the op so it’s hit or miss. I live here, and love diving here, but this wouldn’t be the first place I’d pick to do a week of solid diving.

@Luca Brasi, what made you choose Oahu for a dive week?

Thanks for the great info. I will be passing through in transit, thought I might stay and dive

Thanks for the great info. I will be passing through in transit, thought I might stay and dive
See if you can have the Big Island be your stopover. Easy to do a week of good diving there.

@Luca Brasi I think you could fill 3-4 days of south shore diving in November with boat ops. A boat that I would recommend leaves from Kewalo's Boat Harbor which is a <10 min drive from Waikiki (where the majority of the hotels are). Depending upon how eager you were, you could get 4-6 dives in per day (most dive ops run 7:30am, 10:30am, and 1:30pm charters on the same boat).

Flights to the Big Island from Oahu (or vice versa) are cheap and run many times throughout the day. If you wanted to fill a full week in November, I'd probably try and hit up the Oahu south shore wrecks for 3 days, and then spend the other 4 days diving on the Big Island as @tursiops suggested (which has the must-do bucket-list-worthy Manta Ray night dive). If you end up doing some diving on Oahu, I can send you some recommendations for what wrecks and sites you should try and visit.

Back
Top Bottom