Hong Kong Int'l Airport: Heaven or Hell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
Now that I've book the main parts of my Philippines trip, I'm wondering about the smaller pieces such as flights with Cebu Pacific Air.

Is it reasonable to assume that if I land in Hong Kong from Vancouver at 7pm in Terminal 1, I can collect my luggage, clear Customs and check in with Cebu Pacific Air for a 9:55pm flight to Manila?

My only other (inexpensive) alternative is to book the past midnight flight to Cebu but I'd prefer to not hang around the airport for 5+ hours.

Please share your experiences and advice. TY! :)

3 hours would be a minimum but should be enough time to transfer IF everything is on schedule.

However, if it were me booking the flight, I would take the 5 hour layover since you need to go thru customs. Delays happen, I have missed a connection in Hong Kong when I had 2 hours between flights, and did not need to go thru customs.

Where are you planning to visit in the Philippines? If you are only using Manila as a transfer point to Cebu, then I would certainly take the later flight to Cebu and avoid Manila altogether.

If possible, it would be best to book the entire trip from Vancouver direct to your destination in the Philippines, which should mean your checked bags will go all the way to Manila or Cebu without having to go thru customs in Hong Kong.

Now that I've book the main parts of my Philippines trip, I'm wondering about the smaller pieces such as flights with Cebu Pacific Air.

Is it reasonable to assume that if I land in Hong Kong from Vancouver at 7pm in Terminal 1, I can collect my luggage, clear Customs and check in with Cebu Pacific Air for a 9:55pm flight to Manila?

My only other (inexpensive) alternative is to book the past midnight flight to Cebu but I'd prefer to not hang around the airport for 5+ hours.

Please share your experiences and advice. TY! :)
We'll be flying into Hong Kong next year.

Might not be in time to help you though.

sorry anna, I totally missed that second point in your OP.

I definitely agree with Kupu. Fly straight into Cebu to avoid manila and you can ask PID (or maggie :D) if they can arrange for a late night check-in to a cebu city hotel. Next day you can take the early ferry to Bohol.

Less hassles and worries about making a connection. And if you want, there's a lounge in Chek Lap you can sign up for a couple hours. I believe it was Alcina's old thread.

edit: here it is - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-asia/145573-hong-kong-airport-s.html

Thx, Kupu and Chip! After posting this thread, I called Air Canada to see what they suggested or if they could change my ticket to include a flight to Manila even though neither they nor any of their Star Alliance partners flies there direct from Hong Kong.

I had an absolute sweetheart on the phone! Not only did she add a flight from Hong Kong to Manila return on Cathay Pacific for me, she didn't charge me anything extra! Well, she did charge for the second flight, of course, but she didn't charge me a rebooking fee. As it turns out, I paid just slightly more than I would have paid had I bought the ticket through Cebu Pacific.

So now even if I miss the connection to Manila, since it's all on one ticket, they're now responsible for getting me there somehow. :wink:

My plan is to spend the night in Manila and take a Cebu Pacific flight to Taglibaran the next morning and then taxi into Alona Beach.

Speaking of Cebu Pacific...

Chip, I read in another thread how you were unable to book a ticket online with them whether you used your US or CDN credit card. Was it a CDN card issued from a smaller bank or credit union? I booked my flight to Taglibaran online with no problem using an RBC Visa card. Maybe they've since changed the rules?

Anna, I don't remember having much trouble when I flew through Hong Kong, but that was a few years ago. Sounds like you've got the problem solved now.

Thx, Kupu and Chip! After posting this thread, I called Air Canada to see what they suggested or if they could change my ticket to include a flight to Manila even though neither they nor any of their Star Alliance partners flies there direct from Hong Kong.

I had an absolute sweetheart on the phone! Not only did she add a flight from Hong Kong to Manila return on Cathay Pacific for me, she didn't charge me anything extra! Well, she did charge for the second flight, of course, but she didn't charge me a rebooking fee. As it turns out, I paid just slightly more than I would have paid had I bought the ticket through Cebu Pacific.

So now even if I miss the connection to Manila, since it's all on one ticket, they're now responsible for getting me there somehow. :wink:

My plan is to spend the night in Manila and take a Cebu Pacific flight to Taglibaran the next morning and then taxi into Alona Beach.

Speaking of Cebu Pacific...

Chip, I read in another thread how you were unable to book a ticket online with them whether you used your US or CDN credit card. Was it a CDN card issued from a smaller bank or credit union? I booked my flight to Taglibaran online with no problem using an RBC Visa card. Maybe they've since changed the rules?
Sweet, that's pretty awesome they did that for you. Glad you got it solved. :)

I used a TD Canada Trust credit card four times and it didn't work. The second time it didn't work was because they thought it was a fraudulent charge! They called me to confirm and after thanking them I tried it again and it still didn't work. :( Ah well, I think it happened for the better since I decided to change my itinerary so I could gallavant around the country a bit longer. :D

The booking office is only 20 mins away from me in the PI so I'll just hop over once I'm there. Glad it worked for you.

Well if it allowed you to galavant around even more, then it was definitely meant to be. :wink:

There's a new thing out now, in addition to the 3-digit security code on the back of the card called Verified by Visa. So now if you choose, you can have a password attached to your card that you type in once you've provided the security code. Smart idea considering the security code is on the back of the card.

So now all my flights are booked! (Just did the final one from Dumaguete to Manila with Cebu Pacific.) I must say this trip is shaping up nicely! Now if only the airport hotel in Manila would email back to confirm the reservation dates...

Chip, if you're going to be part of that PPD crowd in Cabilao, have a wonderful time! :)

Yep I'll be going to Sogod and Cabilao and I'm looking forward to diving with the PPD once again.

Please post a trip report when you're back. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom