Honeymooning in Phuket in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tony b

Reaction score
Hi, My future Wife and I will be honeymooning in Phuket from the 8th - 29th of April. We have just done the first part of the PADI Open Water Referal Course and would like to complete the Course in Thailand. Once we have completed the Open Water we would like to complete the Advanced Open Water prefferably on a Liveaboard. We are booked into a Hotel until the 18th but from the 18th to the 29th we have not planned or booked anything - so inbetween these dates would probably be best for a liveaboard. As we are on honeymoon and are inexperienced Divers we do not really want to be rushed about and require a more relaxed, supportive and Patient atmospere.

We are not rich people and this is our "Holiday of a lifetime" (having already mortgaged twice and sold both Kidneys and a Lung to pay for this.) but we are looking for something that is above average.

Many Thanks in advance to any advice / suggestions anyone can give.

Dive Centers - Please feel free to post quotes / prices

There are many many operators operating out of phuket, i have been with Scuba Cat (on scube adventure Boat) and also WhiteManta, in the past who both operate a good operation, also believe west coast divers have a good reputation. Scube cat has a shop, whitemanta does not as it is a singapore based boat (who i normally dive with hence now using them), and so doing your open water dives locaaly with them would be a pain.
http://www.scubacat.com/

Where in Phuket are you staying ? Patong? I usually book up before i go, however as you are there a few days before hand well 10 days, you have some time to shop around, my colleague is up there right now, he goes for 2 weeks and when he gets there asks around the shops for best deals, last minute booking (ie day before or so) often gets substantial discount. This is obviously a big holiday for you so not sure how you want to play it. Patong Beach is the main place for the dive operators many have shops down there, if you got time take a stroll see whats about, although probably worthwhile looking on web first for some ideas.

Two years ago went on a four day trip at about the same time of year (28th april is my better half's birthday) and although it is approaching end of season, conditions were excellent and both whale sharks and Mantas were seen on that trip (dont want to get your hopes up, so will add that i didnt see any when i was there two weeks ago)

Forgot to mention, as it’s your honeymoon, do include a meal at the Ban Rim Paa restaurant just north of Patong (5 minute tuk tuk ride). You should book in advance (076340789 on the day is good enough). Ask for table with sea view (ie next to the railing, they are all sea views really) and get there in time to watch sunset. Wine is a bit pricey, stick to beer or cocktails (in any case I find Thai food and good wine a strange combination) but the foods great and atmosphere excellent.

I would suggest staying at the Kata area 3 miles South of Patong as it has great shopping and facilities but without the seedy element that has grown in Patong over the last 10 years I have been going there. Besides it is closer to the Dive boats out of Chalong bay (but all operators will pick you up at your hotel)

Congratulations and have a great time!

Many Thanks for all the suggestions - please keep them coming
For Info we are booked into the Le Merridian - so pretty close to Patong but hopefully away from the seedy element. I was in Phuket about 10 years ago for 2 months - so have a reasonable (If not too out of date) idea of things.

Couple of questions -
1. do bars now all shut at 1am - or is it until the last person leaves
2. On Phi Phi do they still have the Bar on the Beach with the Laterns on the Tables (Phi Phi cabana - I think) - I thought this was one of the most romantic places I have been
3. I am going to Hire a Jeep for a couple of days and do the Aquarium, crazy Golf etc - anyone have any suggeations on places to visit

Many Thanks again for existing and future replys

There are a few liveaboards that are worth looking at. The ocean rover is nice as is the Colona IV. The June Chian Lee is interesting with chinese junk style diving.
Do remember that late April is about the last few trips most liveaboards. The seas can be rough and windy too. But then again you'll be there for Songkran..make sure you were disposable clothes and wrap your wallets and anything else you don't want wet in plastic.
As for romance, Baan Rim Pah is nice for the view, but I've had very bad luck with the food there, suffering food poisoning almost everytime I've gone. I'd go for sunset drinks and then go to the nicer places like the Naka Flowers restaurant and Lim's just north of Patong. The restaurant at the Phuket Marina is also nice but a bit far from Patong. Farther south in Rawai, try Mimi's after the sunset from Phrom Taep. The boat house in Kata is also nice for dinner.
If you are driving, do drive to Railay beach in Krabi for a day or 2. And definitely drive up with a picnic basket to Phang Nga Bay and rent your own longtail. It'll cost around 1500 baht if you arrive later in the day(past noon). I'd skip most of the touristy spots and just have them put you on a deserted islet and tell them to come back in an hour. Pay them 1800 baht and tell them you don't want to go to the floating village restaurants.
If you are adventurous, sea kayak thru Phang Nga and head up to Kao San and stay in the jungle for a night or 2. Plenty to do if you are adventurous. If you want to laze, the spa resorts are the best to spoil yourselves on honeymoon. I suggest the Chedi in Surin which is around the same price as the Le Meridien. There are a few in Aonang(off Krabi) which I've been to on day trips but never stayed at.

I agree with scubashooter about the MV Colona VI it is a good liveaboard. I just got back from Phuket and enjoyed the trip on the Colona VI so much I booked it a second time and went again. They have a honeymoon suite on board as well. Mark and Raul the Dive masters are sure to keep you laughing and you will feel very comfortable diving with them.

You may want arrive several days before you leave on the liveaboard and do a couple dives with an instructor one on one prior to the trip. Warm Water divers in Patong can fix you right up with this as well as good rental equipment if needed. It will allow you to get acclimated with your equipment and weighted properly so when you get on the liveaboard you are ready –to-go and confident when you step off the back of the boat. I would suggest a close dive site as well rather then a 4 hour boat trip so you can have some time to see the sites and relax before the big trip.

The first day on a liveaboard many people are flailing to get down and bobbing back to the surface because they are not weighted properly unfamiliar with their equipment and unable to equalize their ears. It would be much better to be waiting neutrally buoyant watching the dive master hand out additional weights and getting people squared away then being one in that show. There will be a broad mix of anything from Professional dive photographers to people who are straight out of open water certification. Being geared up and ready to dive the first morning on the liveaboard is the way to go.

Hey Tony b

I did the speed read on your original post and all I saw was Honeymoon, dream trip and a request for advanced open water on a liveaboard. I am going through withdrawals from diving at this point because of no compressed air and no tropical warmth and it has clouded my response. Boy I wish I was in your shoes!

I would like to add a bit to my other post.

I thought you had Open Water (OW) certification and it appears after a reading it again you don’t, that’s ok. You have sold both kidney’s and maybe you can get them back.

1-There are hotels in Phuket for 1000 Baht a night that are clean and secure. There are hotels for XXXXX baht a night that are very nice resorts but probably too nice and all the additional charges are unreasonable, #1 rule is not to commit to a hotel for more than 2 days that the security and cleanliness versus $ detracts from your diving budget. Go with a short term commitment and then find the right hotel for your budget.

2-Dive shops are everywhere, in Phuket/Patong/Kata/Karong. Everywhere you walk is someone who is willing to book you on a trip or give you training. At this point you need training. The Similan Islands is quite spectacular and no instructor in his right mind would turn down an opportunity for a trip there on a live aboard. Most training is priced including the boat trip so at first when you look at the how much the training costs it does not compute. Factor in a 3 to 4 hour boat trip (day trip) with snacks and lunch it is quite reasonable.

3-Do not go on a liveaboard without a C-card. Furthermore, when you get it, take your instructor aboard to teach you AOW, He might be able to sleep on the deck and love it. The dive shop should be able to arrange this. No instructor in his right mind would turn down a trip to the Similans. If negotiated properly and you get a good instructor it means that you and your bride will have a private dive master with you that you are comfortable with. They know all the boats and book people frequently. This could progress into you, your wife, and the DM in one small dive group.

4-A liveaboard trip is all fun until you confront and engage some of the adverse sea conditions. Koh Tachai can be rutheless! Love that site! But what a ride it can be.

5-Where are you folks from?

Scott

Back
Top Bottom