Honeymoon Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubahiro

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

My fiance and I are looking for some place special that also has great diving for our honeymoon. We have been to Cozumel multiple times and Belize--Ambergris. So, we would like some place with similar, or better, diving. She would like something luxurious, or as close to luxury as possible without sacrificing amazing diving. Some places we are considering and pro/cons are:

Provo-pros, looks amazing, and one can get luxury on Grace Bay. cons, the dive reports on Provo lately have seemed hit or miss. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Grand Cayman/Little Cayman--pros, GC has amazing accomodations. cons, we understand that the best diving is at LC, but we are not sure if luxury can be found there?

USVI: St. John seems just amazing. but we are concerned that the diving may only be average.

Any other suggestions or hot tips? We are looking exclusively at the Caribbean as we want to keep the travel times light.

Thanks for the help,

scubahiro

I haven't been yet, but I was this --------> | close to splurging for this place on Bonaire. The diving on Bonaire is supposed to be awesome and that hotel is, by everyone's account, super luxurious. I ended up booking our trip at the Plaza, though, for half the price.

I'm planning to check it out when we head down there in a month or so and will be sure to report back.

My wife tells me we've been married 23 years. We got married on St Croix (eloped) and stayed at the Bucaneer. I had gone to school there about 30 years ago. I can't speak for diving conditions today but the diving used to be incredible at Cane Bay and Salt River Canyon. As for luxury - you can spend a few dollars at the Bucaneer.

http://www.thebuccaneer.com/

My wife and I went to Grand Cayman for our Honeymoon 8 months ago. It is very plush and the diving is great. They say the diving at Little Cayman and Cayman Brac is better though, but top-side activities are more limited.

Consider a Moorings crewed charter to the BVIs (we are doing that for our 1 year anniversary).

Bonaire would be awesome, but again top-side activities are more limited than Grand Cayman.

-Aaron

scubahiro:
Hi All,

My fiance and I are looking for some place special that also has great diving for our honeymoon. We have been to Cozumel multiple times and Belize--Ambergris. So, we would like some place with similar, or better, diving. She would like something luxurious, or as close to luxury as possible without sacrificing amazing diving. Some places we are considering and pro/cons are:

Provo-pros, looks amazing, and one can get luxury on Grace Bay. cons, the dive reports on Provo lately have seemed hit or miss. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Grand Cayman/Little Cayman--pros, GC has amazing accomodations. cons, we understand that the best diving is at LC, but we are not sure if luxury can be found there?

USVI: St. John seems just amazing. but we are concerned that the diving may only be average.

Any other suggestions or hot tips? We are looking exclusively at the Caribbean as we want to keep the travel times light.

Thanks for the help,

scubahiro

If you are not against leaving the Caribbean, how about Fiji. There are many awesome accomodations and the diving can be terrific.
Little Cayman is the best in the Caribbean but as far as luxury, it's just not there.
Grand Cayman has luxury and plenty of it. The north wall is really great.
I've been to T&C and they are great too but from recent reports, its hit and miss.
I've been to St. John, and the diving is good but not on par with Little Cayman.
How about St. Vincent? I haven't been there but the reports are really good for small stuff.
Congrats, I hope you have a fun time. Allot of the fun is in the planning and anticipation.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

scubahiro:
Hi All,

My fiance and I are looking for some place special that also has great diving for our honeymoon. We have been to Cozumel multiple times and Belize--Ambergris. So, we would like some place with similar, or better, diving. She would like something luxurious, or as close to luxury as possible without sacrificing amazing diving. \

Hi scubahiro,

Only speaking from my experience (see profile): there's no better fit for your needs than Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia. The resort is a collection of spectacular, individually designed, huge bungaloes, scattered up a steep cliff overlooking an absolutely idyllic beach. They specialize in weddings there: I witnessed a beautiful affair right on the sand at sunset amid the swaying palms. Lots of starry-eyed couples staying there (which was kind of humorous for my brother and me--we spoke loudly of our MOM so we'd not be taken for a couple ourselves!)

The food is excellent, certainly approaching gourmet quality; the open air dining terrace replete with breathtaking views of the pitons (famous twin peaks).

I found the diving to be about 8 on a 1-10 Caribbean scale. Very healthy, diverse reefs with lots of fish life (though no big stuff to speak of). The dive op launches from the beach; some of the sites are 30 seconds away! Others-maybe 15 minutes. The op is very professional; they require a check-out shore dive for newcomers.

Caveats:

* Expensive
* No AC (really only an issue in the beachside bungaloes in summer)
* Steep climb up the stairs to restaurant/upper bungaloes from beach/diving
*isolated (could be a good thing!) Requires about a ten minute jounce over very rough dirt road from "main" road.

Here's there website:

http://www.ansechastanet.com/

Feel free to PM me if I can offer any more info.

Best Regards

here is where we went on our honeymoon. Was really, really relaxing...

http://www.qamea.com/

scubahiro:
Hi All,

Thanks for the help,

scubahiro

humanFish:
here is where we went on our honeymoon. Was really, really relaxing...

http://www.qamea.com/

This is the next island over from Qamea in Fiji is called Matangi.
http://www.matangiisland.com/

half the price of Qamea. Less formal (barefoot dining) private Island. Unbelievably good food, great people. If you go to Fiji, one of the two islands (Qamea, Matangi) would probably fit your desires. Both have great diving, with trips to the Somosomo Straits.

peterjmaerz:
scubahiro:
Hi All,

My fiance and I are looking for some place special that also has great diving for our honeymoon. We have been to Cozumel multiple times and Belize--Ambergris. So, we would like some place with similar, or better, diving. She would like something luxurious, or as close to luxury as possible without sacrificing amazing diving. \

Hi scubahiro,

Only speaking from my experience (see profile): there's no better fit for your needs than Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia. The resort is a collection of spectacular, individually designed, huge bungaloes, scattered up a steep cliff overlooking an absolutely idyllic beach. They specialize in weddings there: I witnessed a beautiful affair right on the sand at sunset amid the swaying palms. Lots of starry-eyed couples staying there (which was kind of humorous for my brother and me--we spoke loudly of our MOM so we'd not be taken for a couple ourselves!)

The food is excellent, certainly approaching gourmet quality; the open air dining terrace replete with breathtaking views of the pitons (famous twin peaks).

I found the diving to be about 8 on a 1-10 Caribbean scale. Very healthy, diverse reefs with lots of fish life (though no big stuff to speak of). The dive op launches from the beach; some of the sites are 30 seconds away! Others-maybe 15 minutes. The op is very professional; they require a check-out shore dive for newcomers.

Caveats:

* Expensive
* No AC (really only an issue in the beachside bungaloes in summer)
* Steep climb up the stairs to restaurant/upper bungaloes from beach/diving
*isolated (could be a good thing!) Requires about a ten minute jounce over very rough dirt road from "main" road.

Here's there website:

http://www.ansechastanet.com/

Feel free to PM me if I can offer any more info.

Best Regards

I can second that opinion although be aware the diving is very good but somewhere below where I would put Cozumel and Little Cayman. I would truly give Little Cayman a shot. Luxury digs can be found at "The Club". If its all about the diving then Little Cayman is the best bet. http://www.caymanvacations.com/indexmenu.htm?properties/theclub2.htm&2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom