Honeymoon Destination Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

French Polynesia might fit the bill. I've got about $5k in flight points saved up from CC rewards so that part should be covered. Which island would be best for diving but still has some stuff to do/explore topside? Preferably with good shore diving I can do between boat dives and maybe some good food?

Thanks!
Nathan

There's not really any shore diving that I know of in French Polynesia, all dives that I've done on all islands were boat dives. However, depending on the island, the dive spots might be 5-20 minutes away (like Huahine, Moorea, Rangiroa, Raiatea) where you always return to the shop and spend your surface interval there, or it might be more like 30 minutes away (like Tikehau, Fakarava North) so you do your surface interval at a smoother spot in the lagoon.

Food-wise, there may be more options if you're in the main Society Islands... in the best diving islands (Tikehau, Rangiroa or Fakarava IMHO), the restaurant options are a bit more limited since most pensions operate on half board (with breakfast and dinner), but the fresh fish made into poisson cru (a kind of raw fish coconut milk salad) or simply grilled is always available in these places. Topside activities include plenty of snorkeling, biking around or beachcombing or kayaking/paddleboarding or just relaxing on the beach in most islands... However, to get to any of the islands from Tahiti (where the international airport is located), you'll have to book flights with the domestic Air Tahiti (not to be confused with the international Air Tahiti Nui) which need to be factored into the cost as well.

If we were to spend half of our time on an island with nice beaches and decent diving and the other half on an island with the best diving, which would you guys recommend? Maybe Moorea and then Fakarava?

Maldives are open- I just got back. Two airlines to choose from- Qatar Airways and Emirates. Both airlines do a good job. To enter the Maldives now you must have a negative PCR test and I would recommend you look at the Maldives web site for the specific information you need. I am not sure about topside activities at the various resorts because I was on a LOB but I think most of the resorts plan to open in October.Last March I was at Bandos resort for a few days and I found their dive op to be well run and their house reef to be very nice for snorkeling and worthy of a few dives. I am going to post soon with more specifics on the LOB experience (during covid) on the Carpe Novo- where I had a great time with some great people on a well run boat.
Great to hear that you enjoyed the Maldives, looking forward to the report !

Maldives are open- I just got back. Two airlines to choose from- Qatar Airways and Emirates. Both airlines do a good job. To enter the Maldives now you must have a negative PCR test and I would recommend you look at the Maldives web site for the specific information you need. I am not sure about topside activities at the various resorts because I was on a LOB but I think most of the resorts plan to open in October.Last March I was at Bandos resort for a few days and I found their dive op to be well run and their house reef to be very nice for snorkeling and worthy of a few dives. I am going to post soon with more specifics on the LOB experience (during covid) on the Carpe Novo- where I had a great time with some great people on a well run boat.

Hi! Looking forward to your trip report. :)

I second Fiji, love the people, the islands, and that part of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom