Honest thoughts on Fourth Element Argonaut 2.0???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm bumping this thread to see if there are any new reviews or developments out there. :) I'm looking for a new drysuit as a present for my wife (she will be involved in the choosing, rest assured) and my LDS pushed the Argonaut 2.0 as the latest hotness. (We would otherwise go for a Waterproof D7X which I have and like.)

There doesn't seem to be too many reviews of the Argonaut suit, and Fourth Element are not one of the obvious drysuit manufacturers that spring to mind around here...

We sell a decent amount of them. The biomap process for us has been right on. For a full custom suit from some pictures of the diver it is pretty awesome. None of the suits we have sold have had any issues with the fit and we have had zero customer complaints.

I bought the Argonaut 2.0 Stealth in early 2020. I was quite happy with it. It fits really well, it's light and flexible and reasonably sturdy. Unfortunately at some point the threads became loose and leaked. The plastic zipper - despite being careful and lubricating it often - leaked as well. They fixed the zipper under warranty but the threads remained an issue. So after ~350 dives I switched to an SFTech and I'm never looking back.

I noticed that people with pre-2020 suits seem to be very happy with them but most people who bought after that experience issues with the quality (mostly threads).

On a course a couple of years ago with a guy who had an Argonaut. It came with the Si-tech dryglove rings which an awful lot of people really dislike.

The big question when buying a drysuit is ensuring it fits. Do Fourth Element allow for adaptions to some of the measurements, or is it one-size-fits-nobody? Example inside leg, arm length, waist, etc.

On a course a couple of years ago with a guy who had an Argonaut. It came with the Si-tech dryglove rings which an awful lot of people really dislike.

The big question when buying a drysuit is ensuring it fits. Do Fourth Element allow for adaptions to some of the measurements, or is it one-size-fits-nobody? Example inside leg, arm length, waist, etc.

The dealer uses an iPad and special software to take photos of the customer. From that, 4E deduces the measurements and can produce a (basically) made to measure suit. From what I've seen and also read online, that is one thing they do very well - turn out suits that fit well.

I think their process is that once they deduce the measurements, they will tell you if a standard size will fit. I think they will do a certain number of adjustments (from a standard size) to arm and leg length (up to something like 1.5 inches) at no additional charge. If you need more customization to the fit than that, then it is (or used to be) a USD$150 upcharge.

When I bought my first Seaskin, I worked for a shop that sold 4E and wanted to buy one. The reasons I didn't came down to two things: One, they had very limited options. I.e. I wanted Kubi dry glove rings (since I already had Kubi dry gloves) and zippered pockets. They couldn't do either. And, two, even at shop employee cost, it was still going to cost me more than 50% more money.

It is disappointing to hear that they are now having issues with stitching and leaks.

I did the body mapping for my drysuit. Ursuit does the same body profile pictures, backed with a bunch of physical numbers. I did this as an upgrade when getting a warranty suit (BDS delamination issue) and it is worth it. The old suit was ordered in my size, it was good. The new suit actually fits. Not I can fit in it, but shaped to match fit. My skinny legs no longer catch air uncontrolled. Don't need leg gators anymore. For the minimal charge it costs it is worth every penny.

I'm bumping this thread to see if there are any new reviews or developments out there. :) I'm looking for a new drysuit as a present for my wife (she will be involved in the choosing, rest assured) and my LDS pushed the Argonaut 2.0 as the latest hotness. (We would otherwise go for a Waterproof D7X which I have and like.)

There doesn't seem to be too many reviews of the Argonaut suit, and Fourth Element are not one of the obvious drysuit manufacturers that spring to mind around here...
I bought a 4th element Argonaut 2.0 hybrid drysuit.

It lasted for 4 years and for 200+ dives - mainly in fresh water. Given the shore entry and exit perhaps not treated that gently but nothing extreme (i.e. restrictions in cave diving or wreck penetration etc.)

After 4 years the plastic zipper started leaking and needed to be replaced.

A month or two after that the suit was leaking again - according to the shop that sold it to me in the first place it could no longer be repaired economically.

Apparently the light kevlar upper was known to have issues (in my case - the tapes over the threads coming unstuck) - but the newer suits were now so much better (according to the LDS) - could they take an order (I declined).

I'm not sure I'd call a suit built on the basis of the "biomap 3d" a custom drysuit either - more like semi-custom.

I bought a successor custom suit from a competitor and it is a much better fit.

regards,

Rory

That Kevlar upper was what I had issues with as well. Different brand, same material. Mine was getting a case of the bends. There were bubbles between the layers for a few hours after a dive. By the time I had issues that material was discontinued on new suits.

That Kevlar upper was what I had issues with as well. Different brand, same material. Mine was getting a case of the bends. There were bubbles between the layers for a few hours after a dive. By the time I had issues that material was discontinued on new suits.
Delamination is a problem seen on many a drysuit. Like osmosis on fibreglass boats.

When I was working at the shop that sold 4E, 4E decided to stop making the Kevlar suits. The reason we were told was that when you use them in salt water, eventually salt water in the weave of the Kevlar will dry up and leave salt crystals deposited in the weave. Then, over time, the salt crystals having very tiny sharp edges would gradually start to cut the threads in the Kevlar weave, ruining it over time.

I don't know the real truth of that. It's just what I was told by my boss.

Me and two fellow instructors were given FE Argonaut 2.0 suits a couple of years ago by our dive centre. They wanted us to 'model' the range, so I got a Stealth, one a Flex and the other a Hybrid. We've probably rattled up 250 dives each on them without any issues so far. In the meantime, two of our regular DM's also bought Stealths. One did have to send his back to rectify an issue with si-tech dryglove cuff, but no material issues.

On the flip side, one of the other instructors bought a Santi (E-lite I think) less than a year ago and in quite a few places the tape has completely delaminated. I'm sure it's probably an isolated case, but he's sent it back so we'll see what happens. Apart from that, it's a nice looking suit.

Back
Top Bottom