Honduras - Report - "The State of Diving Tourism"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can take Verns catamaran each day around 12pm-1pm (weather conditions permitting) from Roatan to Utila, he departs from the West End, and I believe is $60 one way.

Warm regards,
Andy

Last edited:
We are going with a group to BIBR in August 2010! If anyone would like to dive and party with us just PM me for details!

Anyone know of a ferry trip from Roatan to Utila?
There is no direct ferry between Roatan and Utila. However you can do it in the same afternoon using two ferries.

If you can get to Dixon Cove on Roatan a little b4 2PM you can be on Utila by 5PM. We just did it last March so I'm sure it's still an option. A lot of locals use it to travel to the mainland. Both ferries leave right on time.

The Galaxy goes to La Ceiba and the Princess from La Ceiba to Utila. The docks are adjacent to each other so it's an easy transfer. $65 r/t on the Galaxy, $43 r/t on the Princess.

Safeway Maritime Ferry - Roatan to La Ceiba
Utila Princess Ferry | Utila Guide Honduras

Info on Vern's Catamaran:
Ferry between Roatan & Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras, daily with Capt Vern on the Nina Elisabeth II Catamaran
He leaves from Coconut Tree's dock on the West End so that's about $20 for a taxi from the airport. When you return there were always cabs waiting right there.

Last edited:
My wife, son and I were in Roatan during the week when Zelaya was expelled from the country. I don't think that the term 'coup' is appropriate, because his expulsion was based on the legal actions of the Honduran supreme court and legislature. I agree with the other posts concerning the dumbfounding actions of the US administration towards the Honduran government. It is no wonder that many in the world are mistrustful of US intentions.

In any event, we were diving with Bananarama, which, in spite of its name, is an outstanding dive op. They ran a great operation and the diving was phenomenal.

So, yes, by all means support the diving industry in Honduras.

. I don't think that the term 'coup' is appropriate, because his expulsion was based on the legal actions of the Honduran supreme court and legislature. .
Unfortunately this is simply not true. While Mels removal from office may have been in full legal compliance, his expulsion from the country was not. We all pretty much know why it was done but it was not based on any legal standings

Our government and media are largely to blame for the over-reaction to the coupe. .

While I have not agreed with US policy completely during these times let us not forget, While the Coup, or maybe coupe, may or may not have actually been a Coup, all, even the current Honduran government realize that forcing Mel out of the country was illegal. Remember also that except for a limited number of ALBA countries the US was one, if not the only government not to close its embassy and withdraw its ambassadors, Let us also not forget that the EU witheld about three times the amount of aid during these times compared to the US, and US based cruise ships and air travel continued while the flights from Italy were cancelled, Also remember the US decided to back the elections in November when the majority of the world did not,. PLEASE, make sure you really have the figures before putting blame somewhere.
Times are hard everywhere and businesses open and close as they always have. How many "Honduran owned" businesses have had to close compared to those that are run by the investor who thought it would be easy? The agressor? Was in Roatan a few years ago, I don't know but it would seem if it couldn't make it in Roatan then moving it to a smaller and more difficult place to get to might not be the best plan but thats just me

An election is forthcoming and Honduras will remain a democracy..
Uhmmmm, The election happened the end of November, Pepe Lobo is getting ready to take office tomorrow

Last edited:
Hi

I saw DiverSteve's post questioning another poster who apparently said ''Two of the three major resorts on Utila have closed'' I do not know where that has come from but just to inform everyone that it is not true, I own a resort in Utila and I do not know of one resort that has closed.

We are going to Utila in March.We had to do a fair amount of research but got good flights and lodging.Same day down and same day back.Having been in Roatan a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed the place,we decided to try a different island.From our inquires they seem to be busy.I understand it is whale shark month.That explains some of it.Prices seemed fair but nobody is giving away the store.Should be fun.Let you know when we get back!

Kirk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom