Honduras or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . I'm not so much hoping to see anything specific, but hoping to see anything new and interesting that might not be so commonly seen elsewhere. Is there anywhere you could recommend that might offer something that differs from the standand fare in either country?

How about whale sharks? Could be "new and interesting"--certainly not commonly seen ANYWHERE, as they can be elusive. They are found around Utila. Utila is said to be one of the few places in the world where they are seen year-round. Isla Holbox and Isla Mujeres, Mexico are similarly whale shark "hotspots." Keep in mind that trips to see whale sharks are done with snorkel gear, not scuba. You could spend a few days on whale shark outings, and a few days doing regular scuba diving.

When I think of sharks, the Bahamas comes to mind. Google something like "shark dive Bahamas."

How married to warm water are you? Last year I checked out the Channel Islands of California (research notes; trip report); great trip. Yeah, it's cold water, but if you want different from standard Caribbean fare, how do sea lions, harbor seals, kelp, scads of starfish, garibaldi and maybe a torpedo ray grab you? Plus you're diving in another ocean (the Pacific) vs. the Caribbean.

Richard.

As I said, I did not have any illusions about the likelyhood of seeing any of that stuff in that part of the Caribbean. It has come to my attention though, that There is a spot where the Sailfish come to feed in January off Isla Mujeres, so I may check that out from Mexico on my may down.

Back to my more pressing question, is there anything at all either destination has to offer the chance to see that might not be as common elsewhere?

Sailfish off Isla Mujeres? I know about the whale sharks, but sailfish? So I Googled it, and lo and behold: Dive with the Sailfish Isla Mujeres | Delfin Diving and Swim with the Sailfish - Isla Mujeres Trips Also some reviews on Tripadvisor.

See, you know more about these things you're asking about than those of us who have been there.
I spent my honeymoon on Isla Mujeres in 1979, I've been told it has changed dramatically. It would probably break my heart but would not be surprising. Just look at Riviera Maya and Cozumel.

I spent my honeymoon on Isla Mujeres in 1979, I've been told it has changed dramatically. It would probably break my heart but would not be surprising. Just look at Riviera Maya and Cozumel.

I was there only 12 years ago or so, and it seemed to me that one had to learn of whale shark trips by word of mouth--it wasn't well publicized. I got there and while I was trying to arrange some diving, someone mentioned to me that I should see about whale sharks: "go down to the dock and ask around for so-and-so who takes people out to look for whale sharks." I was told if I REALLY wanted to see whale sharks, go to Isla Holbox. I heard nothing about sailfish the whole time I was there. Maybe sailfish are the new whale sharks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom