Honduras lobster diver on NBC's Rock Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone see the Hondouras lobster divers piece where almost every dive will get the bends and many will die? I've seen the lifestyle of those people in the movie Alamar, but the indigenous there were freediving in shallower water, but these guys straps on a tank w/o bc and only a 2nd stage and dive for lobsters up to 140fsw until they suck the tank dry, then shoot up, often getting the bends. All for lobster tails that they probably get paid pennies on the dollar.

I haven't seen that, but I work in Honduras and am living there now, for the next several months. These divers are typically Miskito Indians from the Mosquito Coast of Honduras - the remote, eastern part of the country. The DAN magazine Alert Diver (is that correct?) had an article about a year ago, and there is much information out there about this problem - it's very real, and effects lots of people in this region.

Back
Top Bottom