Sandals Grenada Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from a quick trip to Grenada. I will break the review into parts so you can skip around.

Getting there:
Currently in South Florida so I was able to do RT non-stop flights on American. When they say its a quick ride to the resort they are not kidding. It is literally a 2-3 minute ride to the Sandals property. Close enough that you can hear the jets landing and taking off on the other side of the hill. No issues on the flight or the transit to the resort.

SANDALS:
I have gone back and forth on how I want to talk about the resort. At the end of the day, I believe Sandals is a victim of their own branding and hype. It is a great looking resort. Perfectly manicured, tropical in many details, with a great beach with good snorkeling in gin-clear water. However, I found the food, service and the room to be relatively the same or lesser than other places I have traveled.

The room was large and clean. However, it was neither larger or more well appointed than any of the other All-Inclusive I have traveled too. I confess I always get the cheapest room (unless I can get a swim-out for a decent upgrade) because I just want a place to sleep and change, so many the Butler Suites are better appointed. However, it was by all-inclusive standards, very... standard. That said the bed was great and the Soaking Tub on the balcony was a great touch. The mini-bar was also refilled daily with endless wine and spirits.

The food was good to very good. Honestly, on the whole, as good or better than most places I have stayed. I think the main problem was my expectations. While I knew I was neither getting gourmet or five-star dinning at an All-Inclusive no matter what they try to advertise, I wasn't blown away by a single dish I had. The only meal that met my standard, of what I was expecting, was the Beef Medallions at the French Restaurant. It was probably one of the best meals I have had at an all-inclusive, however, it would never met the standard you would expect at an actual French restaurant. My friend at the opposite experience. Her Duck breast was served overcooked and skinless. Skinless duck breast...
The Steak house was okay, neither of our steaks came out at the proper temperature, however they at least undercooked them vs dried them out and were well seasoned, while my lobster tail was complete mush. The Sushi place was average as was the Hibachi restaurant, however both had menu items I enjoyed.
Now, take all of this with a grain of salt. Had this been Secrets or a Palace, I would have been more than content with all the meals I had. But I wasnt at Secrets, I was at Sandals. You will neither go hungry at Sandals nor will you run out of options.

The service was probably their biggest let down. To say you are ``On Island time'' is definitely true here. While everyone at the resort is extremely friendly, I found the service to be inconsistent to down-right terrible. Sandals has a no-tipping policy and it sadly shows. Multiple times I ordered drinks that never came. If they did, you were waiting 10 minutes at times to get them, and several times it wasn't what you ordered. At one point during lunch, I was shown to a table. Waited 10 minutes before the server shows up takes my drink order and 15 minutes, she was no where to be found. I simply got up and left.
It wasnt simple one restaurant, or bar, or one meal time, this happened multiple days at multiple places at different meal settings. Just very disappointing that Sunscape Sabor blows a Sandals resort out of the water on service.

The Diving:
I just looked at another review and he said it well. You go to Sandals to dive on vacation, not to do a dive vacation. I knew what I was getting into and had a plan B in place. When I first arrived I was told the boats were full all week and the could not fit me in. I laughed and he said he was serious. Immediately I knew this could happen and just said, if you can get me in great, whatever. Another guy showed up and didnt take it quite as well as I did. After I left and apparently after he finished, I got a call that they would be having another boat and they would take me two of the three days I requested. Better than nothing.
My first dive day I called and used Plan B, aquanauts Grenada. They had a nice operation with a nice sized boat. However, like Sandals, you really get a mixed bag. Everything from new divers to advanced all mixed together doing 80cu tanks. However, nitrox is included in the price, so I was able to get in a pair of 50-ish minute dives.
Sandals diving was very much a resort-course scuba diving. Their boat isn't suited as a dive boat in any real aspect. They don't even have enough rooms for all the tanks, they have to place them under the seats and use weights to keep them in place. There isn't even enough room to put your fins on while sitting down, or gear up if the guy next to you is gearing up at the same times. They call you to the boats and after on board they get a count of who has what certification level. Yes, after your on the boat they figure it out. I paired up with another advanced diver and since the groups were uneven we volunteered to go with the Open Water group since no one else was interested in staying at 60-feet. We both said the same thing, on an 80cf air tank, how deep and for how long do you think you will be going?
Also, the one by one filing and gearing up problem means it takes forever to get all the divers into the water, and by the time the last diver is in the new divers are starting to drift away from the group.
I will say that the guides themselves were very good. Not only extremely friendly, but also not focused on finding things on the reef, they were focused on the divers. The briefings are very good and detailed and I noticed out guide constantly double checking the number of divers and the newer divers air levels.
I got four dives in with Sandals, average dive time was 34 minutes. Yes, 34 minutes. The first to run out of air ends the dive. I came up with an average of over 1600PSI. :O
The actual diving was excellent. The reef has great color and plenty of life. I was extremely pleased with quality of the dive sites I got to see. I also was impressed with the number of Eels and Lobsters I was able to able to find. I think I found more Arrow Crabs here then anywhere else I have dived.

Overall:
My Lord do I feel like a Karen after writing this lol. I really do not mean to say Sandals sucks or you wont have a great vacation with them. It doesnt and you will have a good time at a Sandals. You will get very good, by AA standard foods and drinks, a post card beach and a tropical resort. They have a large returning and loyal fan base, and their resorts are all very pretty. However, when I say I could have taken 3 trips to Secrets, Palace or Iberostar Grands for what I paid here, I could have.
Did I get three times the vacation? No.
Did I have a good time? Yes.
Do I regret coming here? no.

Might do a further wrap-up and add on tomorrow. Until then, thanks for reading. :)

Thanks for the detailed, practical report. A non-stop flight out of the U.S. is a plus; we don't see many Grenada trip reports, and I wondered how much hassle it was to get there. Good to know. You're the first I recall mentioning that the Sandal's diving could be booked up and unavailable; guess it makes sense, but talk about 'buyer beware!' I was confused by your complimentary comments about the food yet strangely high expectations it fell short of, but when you said you could've stayed at Secrets, Palace or Iberostar Grands for the same price, it became more clear.

Got a follow up question. I know Sandals is an A.I. that includes alcohol. It's my understanding the diving (if you can get it) is complimentary, too, and I don't know what other activities are. Is that also true of the Secrets, Palace or Iberostar Grands offerings you have in mind? I haven't stayed at any of those, and just want to get a sense of whether this is an 'apples-to-apples' comparison. Is Sandals just a more premium brand (e.g.: like a Lexus vs. a Camry car) or a different kind of offering?

However, when I say I could have taken 3 trips to Secrets, Palace or Iberostar Grands for what I paid here, I could have.
Think you'll go back? Or, if you consider another such trip to a different island with a Sandals likely to be similar to this, think you're likely to choose Sandals?

I feel like a Karen
Actually I appreciate the carefully explained experience in the context of your frame-of-reference. If everyone reviews like a 'fanboy' with no bad (or even mediocre) press, eventually someone will hit that destination and come back claiming it sucked. People need to know what they're in for.

Yes. Diving is included in the price. As in most water activities, sunset cruises, snorkeling trips and so on. However they need booked in advance because space does fill up.

Secrets, palace and Iberostar all have dive ops on site, but its a separate charge. As is most motorized water sports. Sandals is a premium brand. They market as "luxury-included vacation." Since all those resorts are owned by different parent companies they all have their own hierarchy. Iberostar Grand would be the Lexus while Iberostar Maya or Cozumel would be the Toyota. Same with Breezes, owned by Sandals. Breezes is the Toyota while Sandals is the Lexus F sport.

Would I go back? Only if I someone else wanted to go and had their heart set on it. I tried it, and while I liked it, I'll head to a Secrets/Breathless or Grand somewhere else for half the cost and nearly equal amenities.

Jetblue also offers nonstop from JFK.

This review drove me nuts tbh. Every single time you said something was bad, you turn around and said it was good and when something was good, you then said it was bad. 👍

I was trying to be fair, but I can see where I'm not overly clear. I might clean it up tomorrow when I have time to recoup my own thoughts.

Just returned from a quick trip to Grenada. I will break the review into parts so you can skip around.

Getting there:
Currently in South Florida so I was able to do RT non-stop flights on American. When they say its a quick ride to the resort they are not kidding. It is literally a 2-3 minute ride to the Sandals property. Close enough that you can hear the jets landing and taking off on the other side of the hill. No issues on the flight or the transit to the resort.

SANDALS:
I have gone back and forth on how I want to talk about the resort. At the end of the day, I believe Sandals is a victim of their own branding and hype. It is a great looking resort. Perfectly manicured, tropical in many details, with a great beach with good snorkeling in gin-clear water. However, I found the food, service and the room to be relatively the same or lesser than other places I have traveled.

The room was large and clean. However, it was neither larger or more well appointed than any of the other All-Inclusive I have traveled too. I confess I always get the cheapest room (unless I can get a swim-out for a decent upgrade) because I just want a place to sleep and change, so many the Butler Suites are better appointed. However, it was by all-inclusive standards, very... standard. That said the bed was great and the Soaking Tub on the balcony was a great touch. The mini-bar was also refilled daily with endless wine and spirits.

The food was good to very good. Honestly, on the whole, as good or better than most places I have stayed. I think the main problem was my expectations. While I knew I was neither getting gourmet or five-star dinning at an All-Inclusive no matter what they try to advertise, I wasn't blown away by a single dish I had. The only meal that met my standard, of what I was expecting, was the Beef Medallions at the French Restaurant. It was probably one of the best meals I have had at an all-inclusive, however, it would never met the standard you would expect at an actual French restaurant. My friend at the opposite experience. Her Duck breast was served overcooked and skinless. Skinless duck breast...
The Steak house was okay, neither of our steaks came out at the proper temperature, however they at least undercooked them vs dried them out and were well seasoned, while my lobster tail was complete mush. The Sushi place was average as was the Hibachi restaurant, however both had menu items I enjoyed.
Now, take all of this with a grain of salt. Had this been Secrets or a Palace, I would have been more than content with all the meals I had. But I wasnt at Secrets, I was at Sandals. You will neither go hungry at Sandals nor will you run out of options.

The service was probably their biggest let down. To say you are ``On Island time'' is definitely true here. While everyone at the resort is extremely friendly, I found the service to be inconsistent to down-right terrible. Sandals has a no-tipping policy and it sadly shows. Multiple times I ordered drinks that never came. If they did, you were waiting 10 minutes at times to get them, and several times it wasn't what you ordered. At one point during lunch, I was shown to a table. Waited 10 minutes before the server shows up takes my drink order and 15 minutes, she was no where to be found. I simply got up and left.
It wasnt simple one restaurant, or bar, or one meal time, this happened multiple days at multiple places at different meal settings. Just very disappointing that Sunscape Sabor blows a Sandals resort out of the water on service.

The Diving:
I just looked at another review and he said it well. You go to Sandals to dive on vacation, not to do a dive vacation. I knew what I was getting into and had a plan B in place. When I first arrived I was told the boats were full all week and the could not fit me in. I laughed and he said he was serious. Immediately I knew this could happen and just said, if you can get me in great, whatever. Another guy showed up and didnt take it quite as well as I did. After I left and apparently after he finished, I got a call that they would be having another boat and they would take me two of the three days I requested. Better than nothing.
My first dive day I called and used Plan B, aquanauts Grenada. They had a nice operation with a nice sized boat. However, like Sandals, you really get a mixed bag. Everything from new divers to advanced all mixed together doing 80cu tanks. However, nitrox is included in the price, so I was able to get in a pair of 50-ish minute dives.
Sandals diving was very much a resort-course scuba diving. Their boat isn't suited as a dive boat in any real aspect. They don't even have enough rooms for all the tanks, they have to place them under the seats and use weights to keep them in place. There isn't even enough room to put your fins on while sitting down, or gear up if the guy next to you is gearing up at the same times. They call you to the boats and after on board they get a count of who has what certification level. Yes, after your on the boat they figure it out. I paired up with another advanced diver and since the groups were uneven we volunteered to go with the Open Water group since no one else was interested in staying at 60-feet. We both said the same thing, on an 80cf air tank, how deep and for how long do you think you will be going?
Also, the one by one filing and gearing up problem means it takes forever to get all the divers into the water, and by the time the last diver is in the new divers are starting to drift away from the group.
I will say that the guides themselves were very good. Not only extremely friendly, but also not focused on finding things on the reef, they were focused on the divers. The briefings are very good and detailed and I noticed out guide constantly double checking the number of divers and the newer divers air levels.
I got four dives in with Sandals, average dive time was 34 minutes. Yes, 34 minutes. The first to run out of air ends the dive. I came up with an average of over 1600PSI. :O
The actual diving was excellent. The reef has great color and plenty of life. I was extremely pleased with quality of the dive sites I got to see. I also was impressed with the number of Eels and Lobsters I was able to able to find. I think I found more Arrow Crabs here then anywhere else I have dived.

Overall:
My Lord do I feel like a Karen after writing this lol. I really do not mean to say Sandals sucks or you wont have a great vacation with them. It doesnt and you will have a good time at a Sandals. You will get very good, by AA standard foods and drinks, a post card beach and a tropical resort. They have a large returning and loyal fan base, and their resorts are all very pretty. However, when I say I could have taken 3 trips to Secrets, Palace or Iberostar Grands for what I paid here, I could have.

Might do a further wrap-up and add on tomorrow. Until then, thanks for reading. :)

I agree with your take on the diving, considering Caribbean comparisons. I've been 3 times, diving with the previous owners of Aquanauts.

As an aside, last week I met one of the new owners at the Long Island Scuba Travel Show; she was delightful. I was told that many of the staff that I knew are still with them. My recommendation is to see if you can get Paul to show you around under water. He's awesome and so much fun to dive with. You won't miss a thing with him showing you around the sites. Aquanauts have 3 boats so it should be good, though you'll still want to book your dives in advance to get similar skill levels and a seat. At least that's how it was for me, preCovid. Two of my trips were with groups and that's the ideal situation because then you get a dedicated boat, group's choice of dive sites and usually Paul, plus another dive guide or two. I also thought that the captains were close to the best I'd been out with. My groups said the same. I spent time on my own diving with them too and still had a good time but sure, not having the dedicated boat and crew was felt.

2 trips, I stayed at True Blue Bay Resort. It's so handy to Aquanauts, that on a dive trip vs a trip with diving, it's hard to beat. The food is OK, the service can be similar to what you have described. Sadly, there's no stunning beach out front. It's on a bay.

The island is stunningly beautiful to my mind and I make sure to take an around the island tour, at least once each time that I'm there.

I also popped over to Cariacou for a week with Deefer Diving. That was also very enjoyable and I would do it as an add on again. The diving wasn't quite on par with Grenada but still worth it all to me. I did see something there that I've never seen anywhere else before and even Gary, the owner, said he'd never seen it before either. Ergo, he had no explanation for it either!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom