Homemade Video HID Light Diffuser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pakman,
The 900 is a great system. However, if you decide against it and go for HDV, then do not buy the HC1. Spring for the A1U, there are many more differences than just the audio xlr imputs(which are vastly superior) In addition, the A1U also has an assignable button which when coupled with a Gates housing makes white balancing a one hit effort. Do not shortchange yourself. Right now Sony is offering until the end of the month a 500 rebate which would bring the cam down to 2000. B & H are selling it now for 2499. However, now you will have the expense of a good housing like the Gates and you can figure spending around 3600 just for the housing depending on what quality lens/port you want to go with it. The electronic housings like Light and Motion do not have the white balance option that I am aware of. Let me know if I can be of any further help on this
Steve

thanks steve for the advice. Yeah I've come across that info on the A1U vs HC1 in my reasearch. just debating the whole issue of paying less for a solid SD system now vs paying twice as much for the latest HDV setup (knowing that there will be 2nd generation HDV cameras rolling out soon). The A1U and an amphibico housing looks nice... same with the gates housings...

if the new HC3 that's coming out this month (next month in USA) has easier access to manual WB and some housing are made for it, I could be tempted to wait a bit longer...

This is the last cam I would want. It is a very dumbed down camcorder with no manual focus control at all. Don't know if it has any manual wb either. There is always going to be something around the corner. Getting into HDV is bringing things to a new level. You will not be able to output your HDV video to an NTSC monitor for editing purposes. You will only be able to see it on your computer. Then you have to see if your NLE software will work with HDV. Even in Final Cut Pro, which does a good job with it, there are glitches and studders and much longer rendering time where it also takes up more hard drive space. What editing software are you currently using? Also keep in mind that you will have to use your HDV cam as a downloading deck as well. That is unless you buy another HDV cam like the HC3 strictly for downloading sparing wear and tear on your primary cam. Your Sony DVR 900 or 1000 will be useless with HDV footage. I have a Sony A1U, use and teach Final Cut Pro and it has been a heck of an education getting into HDV. If I weren't a reviewer for the www.kenstone.net site and others, I might have held off on jumping into HDV but I had to do it to stay current. I, like everyone else, also have years and years of good DV footage that now I have to reshoot in HDV. Thats a real heartbreaker for me.-Steve

no prob on the ntsc issue... PAL system here. currently using premier pro but understand editing HDV is going to be a real PITAS. don't mind being restricted to my dedicated PC or my home flatscreen tv which is also connected to a home theater pc until the industry figures out the whole HD-DVD format.

I think the HC3 did away with the focus ring, but replaced it with an annoying jog dial type control. Don't know about white balance but suspect it will be buried in the touch screen... Anyways, gonna snoop around HK tomorrow to see what the going rate is on a A1U... that $500 rebate in the states is nice...

I've been looking for a similar solution. I just tried some EPE foam sheet (thin foam sheets use to protecting items being shipped) and it works quite well. Have not been able to try it underwater yet though.

http://img.weiku.com/waterpicture/2011/11/3/21/5T_WHITE_EPE_FOAM_PACKING_MATERIAL_12_5CM_SQUARE_634563053074629676_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom