homemade uwatec interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtrain01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there anyone that has successfully made a usb interface for the aladin pro ultra. I have the plans for the serial interface. Looking for anyone with the new technology.

Attach the serial interface to a USB-Serial adapter for $10
et voila!

Now if you want to handle the coding of the USB directly, you can... otherwise you can use simple RS232.

I tried that once and it didnt seem to work. I have heard that not all serial devices can be used by hooking up the adapter.

Not all USB - Serial devices are created equal!

I use a lot of serial controlled instrumentation for work, and have found that sometimes a particular instrument will just refuse to co-operate with a certain adapter. I believe that the problem lies in the drivers.. and also natively in the windows implementation of the RS232 protocol. I know for example that the memory allocation for teh serial port in windows does not handle itself correctly and results in the port locking up after a certain amount of time. This can be programmed around, but shouldn't have to be.

Most modern equipment works fine with the adapters.... I have also heard that the more expensive adapters (which also support the mac OS X and linux) (keyspan makes some that seem to work well) work much more reliably.

Again you could write your own driver... though that is fairly involved...

My current solution for realtime logging/data acquisition is to use the PCMCIA serial cards on my laptop. The one I have now is actually pretty good and has worked very well with a range of instrumentation at various baud rates.

Back
Top Bottom