Homemade Soft Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two methods I used when making my own soft weights are as follows:
1. Buy a 500ml 'Platypuss' bag. Simply poor in the desired weight, press the air our and replace the cap. Nice and simple and you can change the weight as neded.
2. Buy catheder (s.p?) 'leg bags' from a medical shop. Pour in the desired weight, pres the air out and then silicon the ends shut.

I used both of these methods with no difficulties. Best part is they are both easily accessable and relatively cheap.

Another way I did it was to go to the fabric store and buy some heavy nylon fabric. I double sewed pouches in rectangles all the way around except for about an inch. I then turned them inside out so the seam was on the inside. After filling to the desired amount I just tucked in the remainder and sewed it closed.
After 5 yrs. they are all still in good shape. They did "milk" for a short time and they have been fine for years. The shot came from a gun store.

Made my soft weights about 2 years ago from old tire weights. Stopped by my local Big 10 tire store and bought 75lbs of scrap lead for $4. Took them home and melted them down into approx BB size shot. This process took a little bit of perfecting but I had more time then money. Sewed up my bags from a nylon coated fiberglass mesh in the same method as BuoyantC. That was two years ago and I have never any problems, either with bleading or the bags tearing or lead squeezing through the mesh. I managed to get 60 lbs of soft weights for less then $20.

Merman:
Thanks for the reply...
How are these weights any different than what one might buy in his LDS?

Bruce Justinen is owner of Seasoft and a member of our club. Apparently Seasoft lead is tumbled with graphite before making soft weights. This apparently coats the lead shot and makes it less susceptible to corrosion. I have some Seasoft weights and some plain #6 lead shot I sewed into cordura bags I made myself. The Seasoft wts. don't do the lead "milk" stuff-mine do.

Fritz

I do a bit of roofing so I get lots of little bits of lead leftovers. I cut these up into little squares (time consuming I know). Then I weighed them out and put them into pieces of ladies stockings.

Then I sewed up bags in a number of sizes from nylon garden netting, leaving a side to put the lead in.

The nylon netting is the type used to protect new hedges from the wind.

I put the lead in the stockings into the bags, sewed up the last side and hey presto zero cost soft weights.

Derek

Tom, we bought your weight bags and they have worked great, sure beats making our own! We have used your bags, our shot, on about ten dives and the weeping seems to be lessening...
ciao
Mike & Deb

wannabe:
I have used old nylons that have been left at my house --- I kind of wish there were some more opportunities for making weights but I am out of material (any female volunteers to forget some nylons?)

back to the original point....
Like UP said fold it over repeatedly and you will have a nice clean soft weight for a whole lot less than seasoft.

I like the plastic bag idea but suspect air trapped in side would compress and rupture the bag.

Wrap the bag in duct tape. The tape is tough but not water proof and it will not rupture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom