Home Sweet Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkbait7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey!

We're moving to the big island and are looking for a dive shop that we can call home. We have a great relationship with our dive shop here and are hoping to achieve that on the big island. Does anyone have a dive shop near Hilo that they would recommend?

For that matter, is there any good diving on that side of the big island? Noone seems to be talking about it...

Thanks

When you think of the Big Island and diving, most people think of the Kona (Lee) side of the island. There is diving on the east coast but the conditions tend to be hit or miss. (Wait I can get some people from Hilo to respond to your question!)
The diving in Hilo sucks!!! Don't even waste your time... :wink:

I have hear very good things about Sandwich Isle Divers.

Hawaii scuba diving | Sandwich Isle Divers, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

I am on Oahu and have never dove the Big Island, As the poster above said all the diving is on the Kona side. When I get the chance Snadwich is where I will go. Heard lots of good stuff about Tim (Master Instructor) from some of my mainland dive buddies.

So no good diving on the east side huh? Bummer. Although I suppose good diving is a relative term. All of my logged dives were in 20 foot visability, usually less, and it was exciting to see a stingray and a scorpionfish on the same dive (sometimes it was exciting just to be able to see your hand in front of your face). So I have a feeling that diving anywhere on the big island will be a treat for us at first.

The more research I do, the more questions I have...As soon as we fly to the islands, we are going to spend a few days on our honeymoon on Oahu. What part of the island should we stay on to maximize our experience? We aren't really interested in nightlife, I'm sure we will be spending most of our time diving.

The more research I do, the more questions I have...As soon as we fly to the islands, we are going to spend a few days on our honeymoon on Oahu. What part of the island should we stay on to maximize our experience? We aren't really interested in nightlife, I'm sure we will be spending most of our time diving.

The part that is on Kauai or Maui :)

Sorry couldn't resist....

I only ever went to Oahu to go shopping or for a concert. But I was impressed with the polynesian cultural center.

But it'll all be better than Corpus Christi!

Chris (used to live in Corpus and on Maui)

The part that is on Kauai or Maui :)

Oh, a wise guy eh?..... :)

Maui is definitely on our list of places to see while we're there, we've got nothing but time. It just seems easier to take a break from the move once we land in Oahu. After a few days we'll have to start the second leg of the move...finding a place to live on the big island.

What's the diving like around Maui?

What's the diving like around Maui?

GREAT!!!

Look at recent threads about Molokini as well as the boats out of Lahaina toward Lanai.

The diving is fine on this side. I have dove on both sides and I find it equal. I only do shore dives because of the cost. On this side, right now, there is only Nautilus and Surf & Sea. Nautilus has been around for a while and is pretty much the place to get air. His tanks are reasonably priced too. Other than that, the only reason I really go into his shop is to get some info on a new dive spot. I have not had really any business with Surf & Sea. They are getting more involved with Hilo Dive Club (not much diving) and I hope they expand. Their gear seems to be mostly IST, so I will be keeping an eye on it. Other than that, find a buddy and dive the east side. I have two kayaks set up for diving. That should open up the diving on this side a bit more, but I haven't found a dive buddy that I feel comfortable with. There are no dive boats on this side and I imagine that's why most people say there is no good diving on this side. The better dive spots take a fairly experienced shore diver. Let me know if you want to dive some time.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom