Home Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veriqster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!
I was looking for a compressor for the longest time in the world (at least so it seams to me - 6 months).
I have my eyes on a MAKO wich seams to be a K14 bauer block (KA-14-E3 model).
It has almost 1300 hours, it's an electrical (3phase) unit and has a 3000psi 24000cfm filter housing installed. The unit looks good (cosmetically) and it is possible to test run it.
If anybody would be kind enough to give a honest price estimate on it (what I would be a reasonable price) I would appreciate that very much.
Thank You.

The K-14 is pretty big for a home compressor. The only ones I have delt with require 8-10hp, and the starting specs are high unless you plan to run it on the original 3phase. A shop close by sold one with about the same hours for $6K with two storage tanks. It was in pretty good shape.

Hi guys!
I was looking for a compressor for the longest time in the world (at least so it seams to me - 6 months).
I have my eyes on a MAKO wich seams to be a K14 bauer block (KA-14-E3 model).
It has almost 1300 hours, it's an electrical (3phase) unit and has a 3000psi 24000cfm filter housing installed. The unit looks good (cosmetically) and it is possible to test run it.
If anybody would be kind enough to give a honest price estimate on it (what I would be a reasonable price) I would appreciate that very much.
Thank You.

Since the title of this thread is Home Compressor and you mention this one is 3 phase, just FYI, I doubt the power company will run 3 phase to your house. (they typically don't even offer this type service in residential neighborhoods). Even if they did, you're looking at $3k to $8k in power service upgrades.

I run 3phase on all my equipment at work, and the costs of 3 phase components for wiring, etc are much, much higher than any single phase stuff. (that and check copper prices and it's enough to shock you.)

so consider changing that compressor motor to a single phase motor if you're going to buy it.

One thing you might consider for your three phase motor is a variable frequency drive. A three phase motor uses the the 120 degree phase difference between the 3 incoming wires to determine its direction of rotation. Single phase power (regular house hold power) doesn't have this rotational component and therefore cannot realistically be used to power a 3 phase motor. This gizmo called a variable frequency drive (VFD) allows you to take the incoming power and shape it such that you can turn the motor at any speed by adjusting the frequency of the output (including 60 hertz or bus speed). The additional great aspect is that you can take household outlet current to power the VFD and get 3 phase 220 volt at what ever frequency output you want. More information is available at Wikipedia. If you look on EBAY you can probably find one fairly cheap.

Variable-frequency drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10 HP, PHASE CONVERTER VARIABLE FREQUENCY AC DRIVE, VFD - (eBay item 130160207902 end time Oct-14-07 0818 PDT)

You could swap the motor out for a single phase, getting the largest single phase possible (8-10hp probably). That would probably derate the compressor which may or may not be ok depending on lubrication needs. A 8 hp single phase motor will cost you a bundle though.

How many HP is the 3phase on there right now?

Based on this places prices API | Reconditioned Systems its not worth a ton of money

You could also consider putting a smaller single phase motor on it (like a 7.5) and turning at a lower RPM. That compressor puts out a lot of gas so you'd still get good output and the lower RPMs would just mean it would last longer.

Do a search over on thedecostop.com cause I know some of those guys have done it.

Have fun!

D.

I swapped out the 10 HP three phase on my K14 to a 4HP single phase motor (240V in Australia though). Dropped the RPM to about 650, and it pumps about 6CFM all the way up to 350 bar. Couldn't be happier. To be honest, I don't need the full output of the compressor for my use - if I ever do, I'll consider putting a larger motor on it again.

Seams like I was to slow, the guy got an offer from somebody else, however, if the deals does not finalize I will get it. I was thinking the same way: either 3 phase converter or single phase/reduced rpm.
Thank You Guys.
I really appreciate your input. Now, knowing that my ideas were at least not wild I will move faster next time.
C U in the Blue.

We (My buddy and I) picked an Ingresol Rand 17cfm 3 phases for 4k and converted it to single phase for another $1500.00 and with shipping, it all came too about 7k. But does it rock? OH YEAH!!! The first time we fired it up though, we popped an isolater on the pole outside the shop. Since the power co. fixed the issue, no problems. Who says that 17cfm is a little big for home use? They're only jealous!!:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom