Home buying tips wanted.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishdelasol

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are in the market to buy our first home and it is a bit overwhelming! I am curious to see what people have to say...

We are considering a new construction town house being built by Lennar (north Broward county FL). They are offering lots of incentives to make it in our price range. A google search has returned a large amount of conflicting info from if we should use a realtor to being difficult about repairs under the warranty...I wanted to know if any of you had any experiences on buying new construction.

Our other thought is, would it be wiser to buy an older town home or single family home that is in a similar (or less) price range? Would it be a better investment?

Well, thanks for any input you all might have!

You might want to check out the home buying forum on gardenweb.com, although they seem to be doing an upgrade at the moment. On the Home Site, there is a forum dedicated to questions about buying and selling homes. Of course, as with anything online, take what you read with multiple grains of salt.
There are a lot of variables, particularly in your market which is very volatile at the moment.

A lot of people are leaving Florida for better home prices in North Carolina.

Home prices are currently crashing in Florida. It's in the news as the sub-prime crisis. In plain English, the 30-year ponzi scheme ran out of new buyers to prop up the bottom of the pyramid.

Be careful therefore about what mortgage you sign. You may actually end up paying it off, a notion considered unthinkable by the most recent generation of buyers (1975 - 2007).

Generally speaking, in a crisis such as this one, you are safer buying a newly constructed home rather than someone else's dilapidated old rat-hole. Make sure you can afford the monthly payments for the next 30+ years. Do an excel spreadsheet out for the next 50 years, and see how the payment will affect you each year, until retirement.

If there is any doubt in your mind, then rent in Florida and buy a vacation home along the Carolina coast!

We are in the market to buy our first home and it is a bit overwhelming! I am curious to see what people have to say...

We are considering a new construction town house being built by Lennar (north Broward county FL). They are offering lots of incentives to make it in our price range. A google search has returned a large amount of conflicting info from if we should use a realtor to being difficult about repairs under the warranty...I wanted to know if any of you had any experiences on buying new construction.

Our other thought is, would it be wiser to buy an older town home or single family home that is in a similar (or less) price range? Would it be a better investment?

Well, thanks for any input you all might have!
If you want Broward County, then don't think about other locations.

I've bought three 'new constructions,' and one resale. In my mind, no comparison -- the new construction takes it, for a number of reasons:
- You're there for the construction. You can drive the GC /builder nuts *every* day, by making them get every detail right (once it's built, and you sign the papers, and they complete the punch list, you're on your own - you can get it right before that happens). Be a nag... You'll be the one living IN the result for a long time. It took the first two homes I had built to learn to stop being a nice guy.
- You can pick out your lot, and have some say on how the house is situated.
- You can specify extras (outdoor spigots, lighting, etc.). I've always specified I wanted a 4" open end poly-pipe run through a 'dead space,' usually the same space they run exhaust vents, from attic to basement, accessible on both ends. Allowed me to run wiring after the fact, if I wanted to add anything. My current house has structured wiring run to every room, with dual coax, dual cat5, and even dark fiber -- all terminating at a structured wiring box, which allows me to control everything electronic in every room from one point.
- You get to pick out all the aesthetics, and infrastructure up front (flooring, paint, Tyvek house wrap, wiring infrastructure, central vac, lighting, small structural changes, etc.). Most things you can't do with a resale.
- You can visit on a storming day before closing, and go through the attic with a fine-tooth flashlight, and have someone fix any leaks you find (in Atlanta, with the use of toe-boards by roofers, all new homes have 'em), or any leaky windows, or doors. Put it all on the punch list.
- You get a structural (foundation) warranty with the new house (phased out over time).
- If you do it right, and you do your due diligence with your punch list, you won't have to "get the kinks" out -- there won't be any.
- You can take a zillion pictures of all the walls, floors, and ceilings BEFORE the sheetrock goes up, so you have a visual reference of all the pipes and wiring in the walls, in the event there's an issue).
- You're not dealing with someone else's abuse of the house (the one resale I bought, I found towels stuffed into a wall to catch a leak, rather than replacing a $2.50 compression fitting, termites behind a finished wall, as well as other ridiculous nonsense).

Good luck!

1. Get an appraisal from an unbiased, licensed home appraiser that you pay. This will get you a good idea what the house it's actually worth. Ask if home prices in that development are going up, down or staying the same. If you get a 300K mortgage and next year the house is worth $250K, you're going to be really unhappy.
  2. Get a complete inspection from a licensed home inspector. Just because it's new doesn't mean that it isn't sinking on one side or that the back yard isn't below the water table or maybe they didn't bother to insulate the AC ducts or maybe it already has mold growing in it.
  3. If you like it and the inspector likes it, get a fixed-rate mortgage from a real bank that holds it's own mortgages for the life of the loan. Avoid goofy financing schemes. You'll only end up scre**** yourself.
  4. If the bank thinks you can't afford it, or is even a little concerned, or won't give you their best rate, walk away. I worked for one and can tell you with great certainty that they know what you can afford to pay back better than you do. A bank that holds it's own mortgages (see #3) will be very careful who they loan money to. This is good for them and for you.
  5. Have your lawyer examine the mortgage contract to make sure there's no hidden (or obvious) way you can get scre*** with it.
  6. The only things that matter are what's in writing and what the people you pay are telling you. Everything else is BS designed to separate you from as much of your money as possible.
Terry

Great info and it seems that everything we've been doing so far and researched is correct. I love the idea of taking pics of the walls before the drywall goes up!

To clarify...it is a town house community, not a single family home so I do not choose my plot of land. Some of the buildings in the community are already up and occupied. It is located in probably one of the last areas to be newly developed in north Broward and the schools are good. We live, work, and dive in Broward and have no plans on going anywhere else for a long time. :)

I am not sure if they will allow a real estate agent or not...but without a doubt we will get an attorney to look over the contract before we sign anything. I am hoping they allow us to have three different inspections at various times in the building process. We are also looking for a fixed mortgage...no creative financing here. The Good Faith estimates have been right on with what we are planning. And we were also able to get a quote on homeowners insurance for a decent rate since it is new construction!

My husband is an engineer, so he is very detailed oriented. We are hoping they will give us copies of the plans so we can stop by to make sure it is being built properly. Hopefully, it all works out!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom