Hollywood Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCDiver21

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im Rob from NC. I am a member of my school's dive club (ECU). We have a trip planned to Hollywood beach for some dives during spring break. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the area, as far as dives and types of dives available. I am also on the club baseball team, and they are trying to get a trip to jupiter lined up to play some games. I am trying to make an informed decision on what i want to do for spring break. I did see that Hollywood beach was #3 on the top 10 beaches to visit list somewhere. I think South beach was like 7 or 8 out of the country. Any info, recomendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

Rob

NCDiver21:
btt .... any help anyone?
Sounds like you have some good ideas for Spring Break. A lack of enthusiastic response indicates most Hollywood area divers are sitting here, waiting for weather to clear. Right now, Cold (by South Florida definition) Fronts and Easterly winds are not being kind to the beach divers. By the time you arrive, conditions should be better.

Do some searches for Hollywood threads and you will see that this is a pretty good area to dive. The wrecks in the area (http://www.dixiedivers.com/shipwreck.htm) offer a great variety of sites just a short boat ride away, the reefs-both from boats and beaches-provide quality dives in shallow water.

The $2/tank air at Divers Direct, miles of great beaches, and friendly divers are just some of the reasons you'll like this destination.

NCDiver - You should be a little more specific in your questions.

Do you want to shore dive? or dive from a boat? or both? What kind of dives interest you? wrecks, reefs, lots of fish, all of the above? There are so many options for diving either from Hollywood, Ft Lauderdale, or elsewhere.

The weather isn't that bad... Sure the viz isn't top notch right now, but it's better than not diving.

So ask a little more, and you'll get some more answers from people here.

I am not really sure what type of diving we will be doing yet. It is through the dive club, so the officers will be doing the planning and booking. I will just be paying the fees if i decide to go and doing the dives they have scheduled for us. I was just trying to get a heads up on the types of stuff in the area so i could be knowledgable when we discuss the trip in more depth at the next meeting. I would prefer diving reefs or wrecks beginner type dives because i am just getting back into diving really and i am not comfortable putting myself on a more advanced dive right now. So basically i was wanting to know are most of the dives advanced dives or beginner type dives. I just want to make sure the dives we are doing are dives that i feel comfortable with because i would hate to spend all that money and have to bail out of the dives. I know its kind of hard to give me an explanation with the amount of info i know now about the trip but hopefully after our meeting next week i can have some specific sites to ask you guys about. Thanks.

Rob

Hollywood Beach is awesome. You can shore dive 4miles of beach front and see tons of tropicals, rock piles, a trench, a yellow brick road, concrete jacks, nurse sharks, lobster, sting rays, and if the season is in every now and then Models from South Beach!

There is a movie theater on Hollywood Blvd, a fishing pier to the north with a great public park, and some fine eateries.

If you want adventure for night life you can simply head to south beach, miami and hit NY style clubs with South Florida flavors.

AM it is breakfast on the boardwalk with the just risen sun and sweet smell of the surf only 50 yards from your table... if it was cheaper than $750,000 for a refridgerator box, I'd live there... **sigh**

Eric

In addition to Hollywood Beach, there's pleanty of shore diving and boat diving in the area. You would be just a 10 minute drive to Fort Lauderdale.

There are pleanty of shallower wrecks around (below 90') and pleanty of easy reef dives to 30'.

When you find out more info... let us all know. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom