Hollywood Beach Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olddiver2

Reaction score
I'm new in town, and just getting to know the area. ScubaBoard has been great for learning about local sites. After we did our PADI refresher with Divers Unlimited in Pembroke Pines, my buddy and I decided to try the Hollywood Beach dive we had read about. Divers U. is a big, friendly shop with their own dive boat and a dandy indoor pool.

We met at the Michgan Street lot at 7:30 and headed down to the beach. On this particular morning (08/20/05) the beach renourishment pipes were about 100 yards South of Michigan, the air was 91 and the water 89. Light seas made the swim just a bit challenging for newbies, but we had little trouble swimming East until we thought we were over the "first tier" natural reef.

Sure enough, we found it. Low viz (10-15 feet) and silt stifled our lobster hunt, but we had a good time looking under the ledges and watching fish. Periodic compass references kept us on a Northerly course. After about 10 minutes, we hit a heavy cloud of sediment (-3 feet viz) that reminded me of the muck dives in the Midwest and convinced us to have a surface discussion. With a bottom depth of only 25 feet, we weren't too concerned about saw-toothing.

Our brief surface talk in the bright sun, and a visit with some free divers looking for the Rockpile made us want to drop down again, but our search for this illusive destination proved fruitless. We didn't find out until later, that the "Rockpile," an artifical reef of concrete blocks, is in a straight line with the power poles on Michigan. Next time we will find it.

Equipment notes:

That new Pinnicle Lobster bag on the bottom close to shore is mine. Guess I didn't tie it on too good.

My old retro-look German depth guage from 1973 works great. I bought this unused gem on eBay for $10, and had it as a backup for the computer.

My drag line for the dive flag was wrapped around a filled water bottle which provided a refreshing drink while we were on the surface. Not a bad idea!

A leaky O ring almost stopped us in the parking lot, but a spare and a wrench saved the dive.

Now I need to find out more about those Conch Divers. I like conch chowder.

Best regards,

"Life without diving can be very dry."

Hiya. Glad you had a good time. The Conchs occassionally will dive Hollywood Beach, and the rock pile. It can be easy to miss, as you learned. Vis doesn't soung too good, but hey, great for skills!

olddiver2:
SNIP... Low viz (10-15 feet) and silt ...SNIP
Yes, it's that east-wind thing. I was kicking myself for cancelling a dive Saturday when I saw how beautiful the weather looked, but I know that under the surface it would be a different story... at least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Mike... the whale sharks were out on Saturday.:wink:

Thanks, being a new kid on the block, I had no idea that the wind from the east contributed to the poor vis. I did realize that diving on the out-going tide is a bad idea, and the sand pump must also have contributed.

But, it is so nice to drive a few miles, walk a 100 feet, and start sucking air. A low vis. dive here sure beats what I experienced in the Midwest.

Any tips on seeing whale sharks?

olddiver2- Seeing Whale sharks in Hollywood. It helps if you worked at a race track in your youth and did A LOT of heavy trippy drugs.. then you can have flashbacks and see all sorts of things.. and name them too!

:ignore: :shades: :eyecrazy:

Orlando Eric:
olddiver2- Seeing Whale sharks in Hollywood. It helps if you worked at a race track in your youth and did A LOT of heavy trippy drugs.. then you can have flashbacks and see all sorts of things.. and name them too!

Oh, I get it. No Whale Sharks at Hollywood cause it's too shallow? Well, this is all new to me, so it's an enjoyable learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom