Hollis vs. Apeks BP/W Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and their distribution network going largely through recreational shops.

as said above, their regs are known here, but they're marketed as "premium" regulators and priced as such. Combine that with dealers not being allowed to sell parts kits to the technical divers and they just aren't big players in this country. On the BC side of things though, why would we bother with them when we have companies like Deep Sea Supply, Halcyon, and Dive Rite all making their gear in this country, with service in this country, and good dealer networks or direct service.

@Pkishino perfect example on the pricing. Can you send some comparable prices from your neck of the woods? Can be in euros, it's just to see the relative price of things

DS4/XTX50 doubles kit. Apeks "base model" is $1150 from one of our biggest US dealers. The Tek3 is $1275... youch
DS4/XTX50 Doubles Package
You're in Sweden, so you're familiar. The Xstream Doubles equivalent is only $1500 which is a "premium regulator"
DGX Custom - Poseidon Xstream Doubles Reg Package
but the part that kills the whole concept is the Dive Rite XT doubles kit is $700. No one is going to pay 1.5x for literally just the "brand name" of Apeks, especially when you can't get parts for them
DGX Custom - Dive Rite XT Doubles Reg Package

On the wing side, just the WTX-60R dual bladder is $650 in the US.
WTX-60R Buoyancy Cell
The Dive Rite is $480. You get nothing for the extra near $200/35% more, other than the "Apeks" name which doesn't mean anything on the bp/w side of things.
Dive Rite Classic EXP Wing - Dual Bladder
and you can get an entire bp/w with the "armored" dual wing *which I would actually recommend for northeast wreck diving* for $700. So a more durable wing with the superfabric cover, and a SS plate/harness for $50 more than just the Apeks wing. That's a no brainer...
DGX Custom - Dive Rite Harness/Plate/Wing Package

Hell, even the Halcyon Explorer *admittedly only single bladder* is only $735 and you're getting the blue H tax on that one
Hmm,
did a quick check.. I usually source from abroad so looked at the two sources I use:
DS4/xtx50 doubles are roughly 700usd, sweden 900usd
tek3/xtx50 950usd
poseidon, couldnt find any similar package, I would guess around 1200usd from what Ive seen
wings, couldnt find the 60, wtx-d30 package (plate/wing/harness) 470usd
to compare.. halcyon evolve 40 full set, 3mm ss etc around 900usd
agir niord set 700usd
tecline doubles set, 22, 500usd

Last edited:
It always surprises me when us people don't recognise Apeks, hardly any serious diver I know outside of the US DOESN'T know Apeks :p just goes to show what marketing does...
I’m in the US and almost all my gear is Apeks it’s the best for me I love every piece, now if I can just save up enough to get that KRV-1 Drysuit oh yea

Back
Top Bottom