Hollis SMS 75 is here! But I need help with it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've switched the inflator hose from the top to bottom left. Do u guys have any issue with the top dump valve of the SMS75 ? It's pointed inward and is making the shoulder uncomfortable.

As I dive in warm tropical water, I only wear rash guard with no padding.

Hi Tiger,
I dive the SMS75 and if you want you can see me dive it on some of my videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_WmA-T6CmvlSMFeWYmvD3A

I personally like diving with steel 100s for longer dive times and/or my steel 50s for shorter shallow dives and only use aluminum 80s when I do a single sidemount tank. As for weight I have tried everything and in the end opted for the Hollis back plate weight attachment. I found that the Hollis weight attachment backplate for the SMS100 also works great on the SMS75. Regarding the long hose, I prefer to have it on the right, a la Steve Martin...

When I use the steel 100s I only need 6# of weight... With the steel 50s I need about 12#...

I have been tempted to do a video of my setup, but have not yet because I don't feel like opening up myself to criticism. Everyone has his/her "correct" way of doing it but as for me I am old school and study what others are doing and then adapt it to myself. It works for me and that's all that matters!

Anyway hope I can help and if you need let me know we can always Skype...

---------- Post added August 5th, 2015 at 05:05 PM ----------

I've switched the inflator hose from the top to bottom left. Do u guys have any issue with the top dump valve of the SMS75 ? It's pointed inward and is making the shoulder uncomfortable.

As I dive in warm tropical water, I only wear rash guard with no padding.

Adam, the inflator hose is supposed to be on the bottom left and the dump valve behind your left shoulder. I dive with a 7mm and don't have a problem. I've also tried it with a 3mm and no problem there either...

I've been diving an SMS75 for about a year, perhaps 90 dives or so. I'm almost always using a dry suit so my situation may differ slightly. For drysuit, light undergarment, HP120's, I started with 2# on each shoulder and 2# on each waist strap. Waist mounted weight did not interfere with the tanks as I mounted them inside the D-rings on the bladder. I was a little tail heavy so I opted for the weight plate. I prefer the trim options available with the weight plate. I have had the inflator installed both up and down. My instructors who also teach backmount and rebreather encouraged me to install the inflator on the top to start even though one of their rigs has it mounted on the bottom. I notice the inflator elbow against my shoulder gearing up but it is not noticeable in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom