Hollis Prism2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bailout

Registered
Reaction score
Hello divers.
Just curious as to how many of you have been diving a Prism 2 and what your experiences have been with the unit?

Yes I have been diving one myself

thanks

I've been happy with mine, less so with the support from Hollis which was supposed to be a big selling point for the unit. I have the 2L counterlungs and the BOV and like them, and finally got a stand from a third-party vendor, since Hollis never delivered on theirs.

I love mine! I just upgraded this past summer to a newer unit with the Can Bus electronics,... much more stable than the older analog electronics. I agree with Ron about support & part availability not being tip top (I believe a result of trying to rush too many products to market- aka... too many irons in the fire), but with my instructor's help (he's a service tech for the Prism2), I haven't had too much trouble when problems have arose. I personally dive with bailout bottles instead of the BOV & also have the smaller counterlungs (less buoyancy swings & fits me well as a woman). I have a stand that is for different make & model of rebreather, but have yet to really use it. I currently have about 70 hrs on the unit & am working towards my CCR Cave & Air diluent deco certifications.

I dive 4 different units on a regular basis. The Prism II is one of them. I don't believe that there is THE PERFECT rebreather but do think that different units offer different advantages/disadvantages for different dive conditions and divers. I also think that as one changes dive profiles (i.e. going from 200 to 300 ft, wreck diving with lots of currents, etc.), one should re-evaluate whether ones current unit is going to be the one for the new task on a BAD day.

The P2 is an excellent rebreather and the simplicity of it makes it easy to recommend to new CCR divers and more experienced rebreather divers alike.

I dive 4 different units on a regular basis. The Prism II is one of them. I don't believe that there is THE PERFECT rebreather but do think that different units offer different advantages/disadvantages for different dive conditions and divers. I also think that as one changes dive profiles (i.e. going from 200 to 300 ft, wreck diving with lots of currents, etc.), one should re-evaluate whether ones current unit is going to be the one for the new task on a BAD day.

FYI - There are factory modifications available for the P2 that might address some of the concerns in the 200ft - 300ft range. I've had similar concerns, and to my surprise Hollis has additional options available through any Hollis Rebreather Dealer. This is one case where you'll have to know what you're asking for, but it's available.

Reactions: oya
Thanks for your responses. Wondering if you guys are using the predator with the fisher cable and the old HUD. I've had issues with water getting into mine - does the newer electronic package have different connectors at the head ?

My old unit had a predator that was hard wired to the head, as was the HUD. I did not have a Ficsher cable on it. The head flooded twice. Sent it to Hollis both times. 2nd time it went back to Hollis, they found a small cut in the HUD cable, not sure why it wasn't found the first time, when they reported the water was coming from the HUD cable. Once the cable was replaced, it has had no problems. The newer electronics have a wet connect on both the HUD & Petrel control about 4" off of the head. I have never had any trouble with it,... but have never taken it apart. With the newer wet connect, you need to have a eye dropper with mineral oil to keep it in good shape.

My old unit had a predator that was hard wired to the head, as was the HUD. I did not have a Ficsher cable on it. The head flooded twice. Sent it to Hollis both times. 2nd time it went back to Hollis, they found a small cut in the HUD cable, not sure why it wasn't found the first time, when they reported the water was coming from the HUD cable. Once the cable was replaced, it has had no problems. The newer electronics have a wet connect on both the HUD & Petrel control about 4" off of the head. I have never had any trouble with it,... but have never taken it apart. With the newer wet connect, you need to have a eye dropper with mineral oil to keep it in good shape.

Interesting
I've had 2 floods as well on mine
gonna check my cables - it's going to Hollis next week

thanks

There's only so many places water can come in. As long as the head has not been open or the ports removed,... the cables are the only other possible entry point & probably the most vulnerable.

Thanks for your responses. Wondering if you guys are using the predator with the fisher cable and the old HUD. I've had issues with water getting into mine - does the newer electronic package have different connectors at the head ?

I have not heard of a P2 with a fisher cable predator unless it's a secondary. Is it in addition to your primary?

The P2 is a very capable rebreather. The WOB is outstanding and it is very intuitive to use.
My experience dealing with Hollis support has been excellent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom