Hollis or Light Monkey Sidewinder reels opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuckitall

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at the Hollis or Light Monkey Sidewinders with 200 ft of line. Both look identical in picts. Haven't seen them in person. I would like some opinions before buying. Thanks

Light Monkey all the way. I'm not sure what the actual difference in material is, but we had to return several Hollis reels when something warped and you couldn't wind them up. Never had an issue with dozens of LM Reels. They are they cat's meow. And LM's customer support is top notch.

The Light Monkey is a slightly sleeker design with the spool part being smaller. Hollis has fixed one of their big problems (no being able to take the clip off when using the reel) but have had no issues with the new ones. We personally sell more of the Light Monkey, common response is due to the handle. LM has a hard plastic on vs. Hollis's Aluminum.

I don't know if you've bought one yet.....but I'm a huge fan of nearly all Hollis gear.

Get the LM reel. The handle is thinner on the Hollis, which pinches, is less comfortable, and feels cheaper. The LM handle is beefier, so it's sexier AND more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom