Hollis LX200 paired to a Oceanic FDX10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edstorm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Having problems with my Oceanic Delta 4 second stage having a ping during dives and hasn't gone away after the oceanic service center looked at it twice. Can i get a swap a Hollis Second Stage as a replacement. I dont want to change any other aspect of the system. I figured since it was the same manufacturer it wouldnt matter. Pretty happy with the FDX10 last 10 years.

Thanks.

Yes, you can, but why a Hollis? Their 2nd stages are pretty low in quality in general. Get something like SP G250V, atomics, or even HOG 2nd stages.

Im looking not to spend more than 500 for a second stage. Scubalab mentioned that the Hollis 200lx was pretty good? Wouldnt those other brands cause issues with Intermediate pressure (IP)>?

Last edited:
@edstorm First, what do you mean by ping? Second, please do not spend $500 for a second stage, that is way more than needed.

Wouldn't those other brands cause issues with Initial pressure (IP)>?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: As a general rule you can mix and match different brands, the exception is Poseidon. If mixing and matching with Poseidon, ask first. Some will work some will not.

The first stage and the second stage should be tuned together for best performance. The Hollis second stage you mentioned is $300, a Scubapro-made Halcyon is only around $200. If you want to go cheaper, then there are regulators from DGX and DRIS in the $100 range.

I use an Lx200 set on long cave and trimix dives. They breath like a dream and haven't failed me yet. I still use my 212's and DC-1 on my stage tanks and I've had them for years without an issue. The one problem I did have with one which was a very minor leak on the surface that resolved at depth, I contacted Huish outdoors and they very quickly replaced the product for me without any issues at all.

Im looking not to spend more than 500 for a second stage. Scubalab mentioned that the Hollis 200lx was pretty good? Wouldnt those other brands cause issues with Initial pressure (IP)>?

Even 2nd stage that make used of titanium doesn't cost $500. All modern regulators will perform well. The differentiation are material used, fit & finish (workmanship) and ability to provide support (not the willingness to). In these aspect, Hollis rank bottom in my experience. Even a HOG D1 2nd stage ($100-$150) IMO is better. My specific experience with with Hollis DC2/212 setup. Bad enough that I won't buy another Hollis or Oceanic regulator

@edstorm First, what do you mean by ping? Second, please do not spend $500 for a second stage, that is way more than needed.

When you breath in during a dive, there is ping noise heard and even my dive buddy can here it. It doesnt impact the performance I believe but the oceanic shop couldnt figure it out.

I do want to get scubapro mk25 but its beyond my budget for now. Atomic T3 even better but more expensive. Looking for something well built and with parts globally since I do a lot of my dives around the world.

When you breath in during a dive, there is ping noise heard and even my dive buddy can here it. It doesnt impact the performance I believe but the oceanic shop couldnt figure it out.

I do want to get scubapro mk25 but its beyond my budget for now. Atomic T3 even better but more expensive. Looking for something well built and with parts globally since I do a lot of my dives around the world.

Hmm, for the so called "ping" sound, I think both my mk25 and Atomic have had it before coming from 1st stage tho. As far as I know, it was the vibration of the main spring. It doesn't affect performance or safety either. I would have live with it unless that annoys you.

If world wide service availability is your goal, then I think Atomic is still behind SP and AL/Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom