Hollis Hts 2 - Converting To A Sidemount Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anand417

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello divers,

I have a Hollis HTS 2 currently in a single tank configuration – coz I am in the middle of my dive master training. However, I am planning to do a tec dive at the USS Oriskany during the memorial day weekend.

I am aware that the HTS 2 could be modified to fit twins – but can I use it with side mounts? If yes, please point me to any resource online on what I need to get to make the modification to the HTS 2 for use in a side mount config. I know the SMS 100 is the ideal kit for the job, but i am trying to avoid that investment since I don’t tec dive often for now.

Cheers,
Anand

If this is your first "tec" dive on the Oriskany I would advise that you go with BM doubles instead of sidemount. Have you already been sidemount diving (more than likely not as you are asking if your BCD will work for sidemount) if not, I would not add the additional task loading of "learning" sidemount with your first tec dive.

Yes, this would be my first tec dive on the Oriskany. Why do you recommend going with the BM doubles if it is the first tec dive there for me? I will work with the local dive shop to have my gear modified for the doubles in this case.

I have some sidemount experience - used a rental Apeks WSX-25 harness for my TDI Intro to cave in Tulum & found it much comfortable than the BM doubles. I have not used a Hollis rig on side mount. Did my TDI Deco procedures & Adv Nitrox on BM doubles as well.

no, and the SMS100 is not really the best unit on the market. Call Cave Adventurers and talk to them about the different rigs. If you want to stay with Hollis, the Katana is the best of their units but is sidemount only. If you need it to do singles and sidemount, the SMS75 is a great unit as well. The Katana handles aluminum sidemount bottles significantly better though

What @tbone1004 said was my main concern. Cobbling together a maybe functional sidemount solution on a dive below 130' is not really my idea of smart. If you just want to do sidemount I would follow the advice of tbone or backmount doubles.

Thanks for the replies guys.

@tbone1004 - it makes sense to invest in a side mount only rig coz I already have a single/twin rig (instead of going for a all-in-one rig like the SMS-100). Do you know if Hollis Katana is commercial yet? I don't see it on their website. I only saw the below discussion on Scuba Board and a sneak peak page:

NEW Hollis SMS KATANA sidemount system SNEAK PEAK!
Hollis SMS Katana - Pre-DEMA Sneak Peak

I may do the Oriskany on BM doubles on my HTS 2 and wait for the Katana to be commercial & check it out.

I dive the mighty o about once every month or so in sidemount - with an sms75. If I were not using steel tanks I would use a katana. I got to try one out and thought it was really good for AL tanks. That said - you don't want to be learning new equipment on that dive. Get everything squared away before the dive.

1. Safety / Prudence. You are planning a 'tec' dive, but don't have the right equipment and relatively little 'tec' diving experience. It seems that your solution is to modify an ad-hoc sidemount rig and use it for the first time on that 'tec' dive. You also have no formal sidemount qualification/dedicated equipment training, at either recreational or technical levels (I wouldn't suggest including 'using it on intro-to-cave' as formal equipment training).

This means you'd be doing an unforgiving decompression dive in unfamiliar and untested equipment, for which you have no ingrained skill and zero autonomic procedural responses. It is a recipe for potential disaster.

From purely the 'tec' diving aspect, you should have a high degree of confidence and familiarity with the equipment you will use on the dive. This would necessitate a build-up period of dives where you can test and adjust the equipment, whilst also building familiarity and ingrained muscle memory with it's operation and nuances.

2. Sidemount Options. Beyond the prudent advice given above, you might consider the OMS Sidemount Adaptor, which functions adequately in converting single or double backmount wings for sidemount use. At $89 it is a cheap option. However, don't expect it to offer a superlative sidemount experience; as you might expect from one of the leading dedicated sidemount rigs available. You will also need to fundamental understanding of sidemount equipment function in order to tweak and refine the fitting of the adaptor onto your Hollis wing. From my experience, having made a few 'DIY' systems over the years, getting good results depends on some intimate knowledge of sidemount dynamics.

Take a look at the single tank 'donut' wing I converted a few years ago... Some Options For DIY Sidemount Rigs

Again, I wouldn't knock one of these rigs together (or either buy an off-the-shelf' rig) and rush out onto a technical dive without some considerable period of trial, adjustment and familiarity building first....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom