Hollis f1 sizing Qews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozgarr

Registered
Reaction score
Gentlemen...

I have an issue. I wish to purchase a pair of the aforementioned Hollis fins online, however :idk: about sizing. I've heard the Hollis pocket is more conservative than Jetfins, like... 1.8 times larger. Thus, I thought wearing a thin wetsuit bootie, US size 11 I would fit a regular. No DUI drysuit for at least two years, so I'd like a fit for a wetsuit boot. I've used a pair of XL jetfins before, with the same booties, and they were a touch big ( in case that helps).

Many thanks

I have the Hollis F1 in XL. I wear an 11.5 shoe and I'm currently using a hard-soled 7mm boot (not dry-suit boots). If you think you may upgrade to hard-soled neoprene boots, I would go with the XL. But if you're gonna stick with the booties, the XL is gonna be a fairly sloppy fit, so I'd go with the Regular.

Thanks for that. I'm exactly an 11.5 shoe as well, so If I get a similar pair of boots, then it should fit an XL. Is there any you can recommend?

You really need to try the fins on with the wetsuit booties or drysuit boots that you'll be using. Bear in mind that the F1 fins come with springstraps that have two length settings. It would make sense for your wetsuit booties to fit when the straps are in the shortened position. At least then you might have a chance that, when you get larger drysuit boots, the fins might still work for you.

I'm assuming that you're trying to order the fins from an online retailer. If that's the case, ask someone in the customer service department to test out a comparable wetsuit/drysuit boot in the fin footpocket. The guys at Scubatoys.com are always happy to do this. I suspect that other companies would be equally accommodating.

Good luck.

Just quoting another thread I found on DIR explorers (hopefully that's not illegal):

hmm, I have the F1 XL which work a dream with my size 10 drysuit booties.

I had trouble with them being to loose with my normal wetsuit recreational booties. I decided to pullout my work booties out of my work bag and try that and "bang" we have a fit...My work booties are cheap arse, banged up, old "I can't believe they have not fallen apart yet" apollo bio pro boots (size L/127cm..a tad snug, XL would be better). They have this hard wide sole that fills out the F1 XL pocket just fine. Oh, and you may find them around for $50. Just my 2c worth.

These are the exact boots I was considering purchasing, so I can safely assume the Bio Pro Boot L works well with the XL Hollis F1... Can I not?

Last edited:
These are the exact boots I was considering purchasing, so I can safely assume the Bio Pro Boot L works well with the XL Hollis F1... Can I not?

I agree with bubbletrubble that your best bet would be to try the fin on because different people have different preferences in terms of how tight they like their fins. Also, even though we have the same shoe size, your feet may be narrower/wider, or thicker/thinner, etc. Having said that, If I was going to buy the F1 without trying it on, and I was going to buy that Apollo boot, I would go with the XL.

I agree with bubbletrubble that your best bet would be to try the fin on because different people have different preferences in terms of how tight they like their fins. Also, even though we have the same shoe size, your feet may be narrower/wider, or thicker/thinner, etc. Having said that, If I was going to buy the F1 without trying it on, and I was going to buy that Apollo boot, I would go with the XL.

I agree, it's a gamble buying over the internet (and I don't like that). However, when my LDS is charging $450 for a pair of jet fins + straps I was looking for a cheaper option, and am willing to make some shortcuts in the process. I consider my feet relatively narrow compared to most, so it's quite possible the fit of the Apollo Boot may be too wide. The other alternative is keeping the pair of thinner/narrower wetsuit boots and buying a regular size, but then reducing their future potential; or even just buying a pair of Jetfins, cause I know they'll fit. However, trying on a pair of Hollis f1's from an American store is kinda difficult.

Ozgarr where are you?

Adreno in Brisbane has the F1's on the shelf for a very reasonable price - about $180 iirc.

Back
Top Bottom