Hollis F1 or Scubapro Jetfins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've tried both in a pool. I need a heavier fin.

F1: love the frog kicks with this fin. Very powerful. Back kicks were also easy with this fin. Its very long though and I hear it may be problematic in confined spaces. Looks wise I don't like it at all.

Jetfins: power was not as good as the F1s. I tried the XL fins. Perhaps they were too small. I wear size 10 shoes. The foot pocket only supported 3/4 of my feet. Frog kicks fine. Back kicks not as easy as the F1s. Overall didn't feel very good because of the foot pocket. But it looks very sexy especially the way the fins move when doing modified frog.

And yes I believe being sexy is somewhere in the DIR tenets.

What are your thoughts?

And yes I believe being sexy is somewhere in the DIR tenets.

What are your thoughts?

I have F1's with the yellow tips, love them. Sexy is being able to find your fin when you drop it (not that I've ever done that) :D

Jets all the way when pushing doubles and I have both Jets and F1's.

Jets have more torque (my opinion).

This is copied from a thread where I posted my response to a similar question:

"Before I switched to doubles, I was a die hard F1 fan. I loved them, and still do for single tank diving. I had my Jets first and originally did not like the foot pocket. The F1s foot pocket was and still is more comfortable to me.

One day as I was preparing for a class, my buddy 50Fathom invited me down to the shop were he works to go over a few skills, primarily kicks. I was outfitted in my dry suit and double steel 100s. I started the day in my F1s and left the Jets on the side of the pool. I really had no intention of changing over to them. I brought them just to try them at the end. Surprise, surprise. I could immediately tell the difference in power. Great, now I had to get used to the foot pocket.....which I did...lol, and some 100+ dives later I still use them when pushing doubles around.

But, again this is just me. I've dive F1s or my trusty old Mares Quattros in a heartbeat when switching to single tank, but the foot pocket issue is no longer an issue for me. I've grown used to the Jets.
icosm14.gif

Safe dives."

---------- Post added April 29th, 2014 at 02:45 PM ----------

The only change today is that would be some 200+ dives later and through Cave 1 class and I still use them when pushing doubles around. :)

I have F1's with the yellow tips, love them. Sexy is being able to find your fin when you drop it (not that I've ever done that) :D

I intend to be sexier and not drop my fins at all! :eyebrow:
Do you dive in caves or wrecks with them?

---------- Post added April 30th, 2014 at 09:13 AM ----------

Jets all the way when pushing doubles and I have both Jets and F1's.

Jets have more torque (my opinion).

Very interesting! Thanks for the feedback.

I have F1s and worked extremely hard throughout my GUE Primer to maintain good position. It became an exercise in frustration.

Near the end, the instructor suggested trying his Jetfins. The difference was surprising. I noticed it, he commented on it, and it was obvious on video.

For my basic skill level and proprioceptive abilities, the geometry of the F1 curves makes it harder for me to keep them precise in the water. I've had some orthopedic surgeries on one side, and have subtle loss of strength and precise muscle/joint feedback. Frog and back kicks with the F1s for me require extra concentration to avoid spilling the energy of the kick off the edge of that fin. My tips drift while hovering, followed shortly by my trim. The flatter Jets are much easier for me to gently scull and feel their plane of motion.

From almost every report I've read, save one other like mine, people are happy with their F1s. They're a very nice fin overall, but I'm probably going to move to Jets.

If you need the weight, I don't see why not jetfins. It does everything right for the cost of what ~$40??? on ebay. The add $20 for piranhna spring strap. And they last forever

For a shorter, more control-orientated, experience than F1s, try F2s....

OP said he needs a heavier fin. I have both the ScubaPro Jet Fins and the Hollis F2s. Whatever else the F2's may be, they are not heavy - they are close to being positive in the water. In my drysuit, it was impossible for me to keep in trim without ankle weights with the F2s.

I can add that Jet Fins size XXL weigh 1640g each while Hollis F2s size XL weigh 935g each. Both sizes fit the same boots on me.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Mares Power Plana fins? They look very cool and are supposed to be negatively buoyant. I started diving with a pair of Avanti Quattro+ fins which were great for recreational diving. For the last year I've been diving with OMS Slipstream fins, which I'm beginning to find a bit light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom